Finale by Stephanie Garber

e-ARC, 496 pages           
Release Date: May 7, 2019
Published by: Flatiron Books
Read from: May 1-8, 2019
Caraval, #3
Source: Netgalley (I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and the Publisher in exchange for a just and honest review. This did nothing to influence my review.) 
TW: Death
For fans of: Fantasy, Romance, Action, Series Enders,  

     Welcome, welcome to Finale, the third and final book in the #1 New York Times bestselling Caraval series!
     Welcome, welcome to Caraval...all games must come to an end.
     It’s been two months since the last Caraval concluded, two months since the Fates have been freed from an enchanted deck of cards, two months since Tella has seen Legend, and two months since Legend claimed the empire’s throne as his own. Now, Legend is preparing for his official coronation and Tella is determined to stop it. She believes her own mother, who still remains in an enchanted sleep, is the rightful heir to the throne.
     Meanwhile, Scarlett has started a game of her own. She’s challenged Julian and her former fiancé, Count Nicolas d’Arcy, to a competition where the winner will receive her hand in marriage. Finally, Scarlett feels as if she is in complete control over her life and future. She is unaware that her mother’s past has put her in the greatest danger of all.
     Caraval is over, but perhaps the greatest game of all has begun―with lives, empires, and hearts all at stake. There are no spectators this time: only those who will win...and those who will lose everything. . .

*MY THOUGHTS*

     This series has gone a completely different direction than what I expected it to. I'm not saying that's bad and I'm not saying that's good. The series as a whole was good and I'm excited to see what else Garber has in store. 
"He was still the most beautiful liar she'd ever seen."
1%
     Caraval is over and the Fates are still free. Legend is preparing for his coronation, but not everyone is ready or excited for this to happen... Scarlett is finding a different game to play this time around and Tella is still making her own rules. But of course, nothing goes according to plan. It never does.
"If you can't trust me, no one else can."
8%
     Although I liked this one, I did feel like it was a bit long. It seemed like there was only what was mentioned in the synopsis and y'all know how I am about that. And it just seemed like even though it was going through exactly what was in the synopsis, it was still really long. I really felt like I was reading it forever.
"Fear was a poison that people mistook as protection."
16%
     I did like finally figuring all the characters out. I had so many questions about Legend and Julian and they were all answered. I loved that she answered all questions and didn't leave any secrets about any of the characters unanswered. It was definitely a plus to have chapters from everyone's POVs. And I hate to say it, but I loved seeing all the turmoil that they all went through too. I wanted more for some others, but in the end I was satisfied with what happened to each person. It's not something I can say with all series enders.
"No. Anyone who uses a 'the' in front of their name is never trustworthy."
57%
     This series wasn't what I was expecting it to be and I think that's what I liked most and least about it. I was surprised by the Fates and their roles in the second book, but I really wished this one had been more Caraval and less Legendary if that makes sense. The game was what intrigued me about this series and taking it out made it just ok for me. *dodges tomatoes* I know others won't agree with that, but its how I felt mostly while reading it. The mythology kept it interesting, but the game was what originally kept me glued to the pages.
"I'm the villain, even in my own story. But you were supposed to play a different role."
73%
     I remember wanting to grab Caraval when I first heard about it at BEA 3 years ago. Fast forward to now and I still have the same excitement for the series as I once did. Although it didn't go as I thought it would, it was still an enjoyable series and I'm glad I was part of the hype for it.
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , , ,