Capturing the Devil by Kerri Maniscalco

Hardcover, 444 pages           
Release Date: September 17, 2019
Published by: Jimmy Patterson Presents
Read from: September 14-22, 2019
Stalking Jack the Ripper, #4
Source: Bought
TW: Violence, Death 
For fans of: Historical Fiction, Mystery, Series Ender, Series, YA


     In the shocking finale to the bestselling series that began with Stalking Jack the Ripper, Audrey Rose and Thomas are on the hunt for the depraved, elusive killer known as the White City Devil. A deadly game of cat-and-mouse has them fighting to stay one step ahead of the brilliant serial killer---or see their fateful romance cut short by unspeakable tragedy.
     Audrey Rose Wadsworth and Thomas Cresswell have landed in America, a bold, brash land unlike the genteel streets of London they knew. But like London, the city of Chicago hides its dark secrets well. When the two attend the spectacular World's Fair, they find the once-in-a-lifetime event tainted with reports of missing people and unsolved murders.
     Determined to help, Audrey Rose and Thomas begin their investigations, only to find themselves facing a serial killer unlike any they've heard of before. Identifying him is one thing, but capturing him---and getting dangerously lost in the infamous Murder Hotel he constructed as a terrifying torture device---is another.
     Will Audrey Rose and Thomas see their last mystery to the end---together and in love---or will their fortunes finally run out when their most depraved adversary makes one final, devastating kill?

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I still remember when Stalking Jack the Ripper was about to come out. I was a little iffy on it because although I liked mysteries, I wasn't completely sold on the historical fiction aspect. But now after finishing this last book in that series, I'm so glad I didn't miss out.
"Veins of crimson and black wound through cracks in the cobblestones- tributries of old death meeting the new. The scent of copper mixed with feces pricked my eues and thrilled my heart. This street was a murderer's dream."
pg. 5
     Thomas and Audrey Rose are now in America. They're here to track down aother killer, more grusome than America has seen before. Will they catch them, or is has this crime fighting duo met their match?
"The world needed to be better. And if it wasn't possible for it to be better, we, it's inhabitants needed to do better.
pg. 26
     Of course Maniscalco's prose was still amazing. I loved the way she's not afraid to be gory. It's what originally drew me into this series in the first place. This one was just the same. The same great gore, and the same great mystery, and the same great storytelling. I felt like I was swept off to the morgue to help them and I didn't want to leave. (add that to sentences I never thought I'd type) 
"...I hadrdly recognized myself. I shouldn't delight in such violence, yet there was no denying how extraordinarily alive I felt while studying death.Perhaps it was the devil in me, begging to be set free."
pg. 35
     And of course I still loved the characters. Thomas is still the crazy weirdo guy that I liked from the very beginning. And Audrey is still the headstrong, brave, smart girl from the series. She's still the reason I liked this series so much. Strong female lead and an interest in STEM. HUZZAH!
"We humans could nor help loving our monsters."
pg. 55
     However, for this to be a finale to a series, I wish it had more bodies and less lovey dovey times. (Again, add that to sentences I never thought I'd type) I fell in love with this story because of the science and the way it was like horror and mystery mixed together. This took most of that away and made it more of a love story. Normally I wouldn't complain, because it doesn't leave any loose ends, but still. I just wanted more I guess. 
"I'd never seen this side of Thomas. I didn't fear him; I feared the war he might wage for me."
pg. 164
     As for the historical aspect, I have to say I'm a bit surprised. I had never even heard of  H.H. Holmes. (I'm a very weird and morbid person who does random research like this all the time.) At the end Maniscalco gives us an author's note, but I did a bit more. I was trying to figure out what made her choose him. I'm not sure what made her go with this guy, but he was definitely a good choice because I learned a lot that I didn't know before. 
"If the world thinks we're heading straight to Hell, we might as well enjoy the journey there. I'd rather dance with the devil than sing with angels wouldn't you?"
pg. 263
     I still can't believe this is the end. Although there weren't any questions left unanswered, I still have more. What happens now? Where do they go from here? What ever happened to them? Hopefully we see them later on in other books by Maniscalco.
   Overall, I give this


Labels: , , ,