The Mother-in-Law by Sally Hepworth

E-Audio, 09:12:03
Narrated by:  Barrie Kreinik
Release Date:  April 23, 2019
Published by:  Macmillan Audio
Read from: September 28- October 2, 2019
Stand-alone
Source: Library 
TW: Death, Violence
For fans of: Thriller, Mystery, Suspense, Adult 

     A twisty, compelling novel about one woman's complicated relationship with her mother-in-law that ends in murder...
     From the moment Lucy met her husband's mother, Diana, she was kept at arm's length. Diana was exquisitely polite, and properly friendly, but Lucy knew that she was not what Diana envisioned. But who could fault Diana? She was a pillar of the community, an advocate for social justice who helped female refugees assimilate to their new country. Diana was happily married to Tom, and lived in wedded bliss for decades. Lucy wanted so much to please her new mother-in-law.
     That was five years ago.
     Now, Diana has been found dead, a suicide note near her body. Diana claims that she no longer wanted to live because of a battle with cancer.
     But the autopsy finds no cancer.
     The autopsy does find traces of poison and suffocation.
     Who could possibly want Diana dead?
     Why was her will changed at the eleventh hour to disinherit both of her adult children and their spouses?
     With Lucy's secrets getting deeper and her relationship with her mother-in-law growing more complex as the pages turn, this new novel from Sally Hepworth is sure to add to her growing legion of fans.

*This book is part of the adult mystery/thriller genre! I have featured it in The Crime Scene as a way to feature the few Adult and New Adult titles I am beginning to read in this genre! There's not much of a difference, however the scenes may be more graphic and there may be more explicit scenes in some of them."  

*MY THOUGHTS*

      I was super excited for this book after reading The Wife by Alafair Burke. They don't have anything in common, but the titles are part of a thing my co-worker and I have noticed. (It's always The WOMAN with ___________ or The Woman and by woman I mean any varitation of them) But this one wasn't exactly as good as I was expecting. 
     It just so happened I didn't read the synopsis, but after putting it here, I could see that I'm glad I didn't. It basically told you the entire story. So, I won't put it here. I'll just say nothing and no one is as it seems. 
    I'm not normally a fan of mysteries that don't give you all the facts until you get to the end. And this one is exactly that. But for this one I wanted to know who was the killer was so I kept listening to it. There was no real reason of me liking this and it didn't exactly stand out, but I still wanted to finish it.
     The plot was ok, but since it only released some details at a time, there the rest of it was repetitive and a bit boring. Again it wasn't something to write home about, but still was enough to leave me interested. And it was great that it was told in the multiple POV's. There's so many characters with alot of info and that's the way to confuse readers more. 
     There's not much good or bad about this one. There's enough to be unique, but not enough for me to completely enjoy it. But still entertaining overall.
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , , ,