Bloodlust & Bonnets by Emily McGovern

Paperback, 216 pages           
Release Date: September 17, 2019
Published by: Andrews McMeel Publishing
Read from: December 23-25, 2019
Stand-alone
Source: Library
TW: Death
For fans of: Romance, Historical Fiction, Sword fighting 


     From the creator of the hit webcomic My Life As a Background Slytherin comes a hilarious graphic novel pastiche of classic Romantic literature led by a trio of queer misfits—and several angry vampires.
     Set in early nineteenth-century Britain,  Bloodlust & Bonnets follows Lucy, an unworldly debutante who desires a life of passion and intrigue—qualities which earn her the attention of Lady Violet Travesty, the leader of a local vampire cult.
     But before Lucy can embark on her new life of vampiric debauchery, she finds herself unexpectedly thrown together with the flamboyant poet Lord Byron (“from books!”) and a mysterious bounty-hunter named Sham. The unlikely trio lie, flirt, fight, and manipulate each other as they make their way across Britain, disrupting society balls, slaying vampires, and making every effort not to betray their feelings to each other as their personal and romantic lives become increasingly entangled.
     Both witty and slapstick, elegant and gory, Emily McGovern’s debut graphic novel pays tribute to and pokes fun at beloved romance tropes, delivering a joyous, action-packed world of friendship and adventure.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     When I saw this cover and that it was about vampires, I KNEW I needed to get my hands on this. And although it was not what I was expecting, it was still entertaining. 
     The best part of this was by far the art. The colors by themselves were great and the drawing style was awesome as well. Put the two together, and it turned into 216 pages of me just going and looking at the pictures the first time through. It was so much more than I was expecting. 
     However, I didn't like the writing style. I thought it was funny because most of the historical stuff was cliche and it seemed to poke fun at other novels like that. But as for the vampires, I didn't care for them. There was nothing about vampires with this. Well nothing that I recognized anyways. And for that, I didn't care for it. It could just be a me thing, but I just didn't like that. I was expecting more about the vampire cult and their quest. We got their quest, but it was more they ran from the vampires. There wasn't really any vampire-y things besides them killing them and making them poof away. I guess I just wanted more? Like more teeth, and more out at night, etc. 
     There wasn't anything that just stood out to me besides the queer characters and the art, so I feel a bit like the black sheep, but overall, it was still ok for me. It wasn't what I was expecting, but I still did like it. I do hope there might be another, but I would much rather it be more than what this was. 
Overall, I give this


Labels: , , ,