Get a Life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert

E-Audio, 10:17:23
Narrated by:   Adjoa Andoh
Release Date:  November 5, 2019
Published by: HarperAudio
Read from: December 18-22, 2019
The Brown Sisters, #1
Source: Library 
TW: 
For fans of: Contemporary, Romance, Diversity, #OwnVoices, Diverse Author, POC on cover, POC MC, Between the Covers, Rom Coms, Adult, Body Image

     Chloe Brown is a chronically ill computer geek with a goal, a plan, and a list. After almost—but not quite—dying, she’s come up with seven directives to help her “Get a Life”, and she’s already completed the first: finally moving out of her glamourous family’s mansion. The next items?
     Enjoy a drunken night out.
     Ride a motorcycle.
     Go camping.
     Have meaningless but thoroughly enjoyable sex.
     Travel the world with nothing but hand luggage.
     And... do something bad.
     But it’s not easy being bad, even when you’ve written step-by-step guidelines on how to do it correctly. What Chloe needs is a teacher, and she knows just the man for the job.
Redford ‘Red’ Morgan is a handyman with tattoos, a motorcycle, and more sex appeal than ten-thousand Hollywood heartthrobs. He’s also an artist who paints at night and hides his work in the light of day, which Chloe knows because she spies on him occasionally. Just the teeniest, tiniest bit.
     But when she enlists Red in her mission to rebel, she learns things about him that no spy session could teach her. Like why he clearly resents Chloe’s wealthy background. And why he never shows his art to anyone. And what really lies beneath his rough exterior…
 
 

BETWEEN THE COVERS!
*This book is part of the new adult contemporary romance genre! It is more mature than YA. I have featured it in Between the Covers as a way to feature the few Adult and New Adult titles I am beginning to read!"

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I have been hearing so many different things about this one so I knew I needed to get my hands on this one. Especially with the romance kick I've been on lately. And finally when I got my hands on it, I had to read it right away to find out what everyone was talking about.
Chloe Brown is a geek who's also chronically ill. She has "no life" but she's learned to be ok with that. But according to her sisters and her Gigi, she needs to get a life. So she comes up with some ways she can make that happen. Enter Red who doesn't really like her but is still interested enough to help her cross some of the things off on her list. Neither one of them were expecting to find the type of chemistry they did between each other.
When you see my rating for this, many of you will be confused. Everyone I've seen is giving this 5 stars and here I was waffling between a 3 and a 4. But I just could not overlook how unoriginal it was.Maybe its just me and how many romances I've read lately, but I felt like I had read this story before. Nothing about it (besides its awesome characters) stood out to me. If it wasn't for the characters, I would have rated it even lower. And because it felt so familiar to me it caused it to drag in the middle.
As for the characters, I did love Red and Button. They had an undeniable chemistry and I swooned at several parts. Especially one part at the end when they *SPOILER* made up.*END SPOILER*I found myself having to rewind it and slow the speed down just to make out exactly what he said. So sweet. And that bar scene between them was nice too lol I also really liked Chloe! I loved that there was so much representation in this book! From the therapy, to a character who's not skinny and chronically ill, all with accurate representation?! YASSSSS. I am here for it. And I'm super glad someone put it in thier book. This is what made the story for me. Y'all know how I'm a character driven reader. Well, this book proved it. Had I been plot driven I wouldn't have finished it. But because the characters were so amazing, I ended up really liking it. The other characters like her family were also amazing. Absolutely hilarious. I've already added the one about her sister Dani to my TBR.
This one was just ok for me, but I still hope everyone who wants to read it still does. It has some down sides, but it also has some really great good points as well. Take a read and let me see what you think of it!
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,