Rules for Vanishing by Kate Alice Marshall

E-Audio, 11:05:49
Narrated by:  Jesse Vilinsky, Robbie Daymond, and Rob Shapiro 
Release Date:  September 24, 2019
Published by: Viking Books for Young Readers
Read from: November 24- December 2, 2019
Stand-alone
Source: Library 
TW: 
For fans of: Horror, Scary stuff, YA

     In the faux-documentary style of The Blair Witch Project comes the campfire story of a missing girl, a vengeful ghost, and the girl who is determined to find her sister--at all costs.
     Once a year, the path appears in the forest and Lucy Gallows beckons. Who is brave enough to find her--and who won't make it out of the woods?
     It's been exactly one year since Sara's sister, Becca, disappeared, and high school life has far from settled back to normal. With her sister gone, Sara doesn't know whether her former friends no longer like her...or are scared of her, and the days of eating alone at lunch have started to blend together. When a mysterious text message invites Sara and her estranged friends to "play the game" and find local ghost legend Lucy Gallows, Sara is sure this is the only way to find Becca--before she's lost forever. And even though she's hardly spoken with them for a year, Sara finds herself deep in the darkness of the forest, her friends--and their cameras--following her down the path. Together, they will have to draw on all of their strengths to survive. The road is rarely forgiving, and no one will be the same on the other side.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     As soon as I heard this was YA and this was horror, I KNEW I needed to get my hands on it. And I'm so glad I did! This was like nothing I've ever read and I loved that about it! It was a weird, interesting read. 
     Becca has been gone for exactly one year and her sister Sara has last interest in everything. But when she gets a mysterious text message, to see more about the local legend of Lucy Gallows, she finds a way to tie it back to her sister who is assumed to have been last seen in the same place Lucy was going missing. Sara and all her old friends have to join together to make sure they can bring Becca back. 
     This was a real surprise. There's not much YA horror around, and to find one that's actually scary is even rarer. And this one was both! It wasn't really scary, but because I listened to the audio and only did the imagining part, it was a good way to scare my self silly. I think I over imagined alot of the monsters because I was scared to go in the dark at some points. 
     I also really liked the way the story was told. If you've ever watched The Blair Witch Project, this was like that, but in book version. It had video files, witness statements, etc. and I thought that was pretty cool. And the mysetery was told in a great way. Nothing was revealed until the end, but it had me guessing the entire way. But the overall theme of the book was definitely weird. 
     The characters weren't my favorite though. And when I say that, I mean, like none of them were. I didn't care for anyone. Except the villain. I thought she was done EXCEPTIONALLY well. I didn't see it coming until it got there. And the OTHER plot twist with the character was something I didn't expect as well. I remember I was shelving at work as I was listening to this part and I remember making an audible gasp. Definitly was a surprise ending. 
     I wasn't a fan of the characters, but everything else was awesome! GOOD Horror in YA is hard to find, so when you find it, you can only hope its good. And this one definitely was. Make sure you pick up your copy too. 
Overall, I give this


Labels: ,