Sick Kids in Love by Hannah Moskowitz

E-Audio, 09:11:25
Narrated by:  Amy Melissa Bentley 
Release Date:  November 5, 2019
Published by: Tantor Media, Inc. 
Read from: December 12-18, 2019
Stand-alone
Source: Library 
TW: Hospital Vists/Stays
For fans of: Contemporary, Romance, Sick Lit, YA

     Isabel has one rule: no dating.
     It's easier--
     It's safer--
     It's better--
     --for the other person.
     She's got issues. She's got secrets. She's got rheumatoid arthritis.
     But then she meets another sick kid.
     He's got a chronic illness Isabel's never heard of, something she can't even pronounce. He understands what it means to be sick. He understands her more than her healthy friends. He understands her more than her own father who's a doctor.
     He's gorgeous, fun, and foul-mouthed. And totally into her.
     Isabel has one rule: no dating.
     It's complicated--
     It's dangerous--
     It's never felt better--
     --to consider breaking that rule for him.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I was a bit iffy about adding this to my TBR because I haven't ever finished a Moskowitz book before and I'm also not a real fan of sick lit. But, I'm going to be cliche and say I'm glad I still gave it a shot because as it turned out, I actually enjoyed this. 
     Isabel has rheumatoid arthritis. She meets a guy who is also sick. They hit it off right away. He teaches her some things and vice versa. And he really likes her. But everything is complicated and scary. How can you be sure what you decide is the right thing?
     As someone who usually likes the comedic relief, I knew I was going to like Sasha. And sure enough, he ended up being my favorite character. He was always there to break up the tension (for the most part). And when his scenes called for him to be serious, I remembr hanging on to everything he said. I'm not sure how to explain that, but he was just a realistic and raw character and I loved him. 
      Then there's Isabel. I liked her character ok, but she didn't really stand out like Sasha. To be honest, she was pretty boring in comparison. She just didn't seem as outgoing and ready to try new things as he was. She played it safe with everything and after awhile it started getting boring to me. 
     Putting the two together was pretty awesome. I felt that their love story was good, but nothing stood out for me. It was a pretty basic love story but had an extra element of them being sick. Normally I would automatically say this was a 3 star read, but with the added comfort that no one died in this book, is the reason I've been thinking of a 3.5. 
     Another reason I was thinking a 3 was because of the writing style.I'm still not a fan. It wasn't anything bad, but it also wasn't anything great. I didn't find myself bookmarking a lot of passages, nor did I find that I had to listen really well for fear that I would miss some huge element from the story. However, I did like the narrator. She actually sounded like a teen. I don't know if that's her real voice or just a voice from voice acting, but I felt that it was very fitting for this story. 
     This one was just ok for me. It wasn't something I'll particularly remember, but it also wasn't super a super amazing experience for me either. It's definitely something that I enjoyed, but in the end it seemed like your basic contemporary romance.
Overall, I give this


Labels: , ,