Race to the Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse

ARC, 256 pages           
Release Date: January 14, 2020
Published by: Rick Riordan Presents
Read from: January 12-17, 2020
Stand-alone
Source: Neetgalley (I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and the Publisher in exchange for a just and honest review. This did nothing to influence my review.) 
TW: Monster Slaying
For fans of: Mythology, demigods, Fantasy, Middle Grade, Quests


     Lately, seventh grader Nizhoni Begay has been able to detect monsters, like that man in the fancy suit who was in the bleachers at her basketball game. Turns out he's Mr. Charles, her dad's new boss at the oil and gas company, and he's alarmingly interested in Nizhoni and her brother, Mac, their Navajo heritage, and the legend of the Hero Twins. Nizhoni knows he's a threat, but her father won't believe her.
     When Dad disappears the next day, leaving behind a message that says "Run!", the siblings and Nizhoni's best friend, Davery, are thrust into a rescue mission that can only be accomplished with the help of DinĂ© Holy People, all disguised as quirky characters. Their aid will come at a price: the kids must pass a series of trials in which it seems like nature itself is out to kill them. If Nizhoni, Mac, and Davery can reach the House of the Sun, they will be outfitted with what they need to defeat the ancient monsters Mr. Charles has unleashed. But it will take more than weapons for Nizhoni to become the hero she was destined to be . . .
     Timeless themes such as the importance of family and respect for the land resonate in this funny, fast-paced, and exciting quest adventure set in the American Southwest.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I hate to say this about a middle grade novel, but this was hella fun! If you know me, you know any story about quests and demigods is my JAM. And this one was no different. I found this novel to be delightful and I really want there to be another!
"And whatever you do, don't touch him.' I don't know much about monsters, but it seems like common sense. Who knows what could happen? They could slime on you, suck out your soul, eat your eyeballs. The possibilities are endless."
pg. 23
     Nizhoni wants to be someone who everyone likes. But when she realizes she's starting to see monsters, she doesn't think that's ever going to happen. And her chances are even worse when she realizes the newest monster she sees is her dad's new boss. But she warns him and her brother, neither one believe her. But then, her dad disappears and she knows its the monsters who got him and as it turns out, Nizhoni is one of the only people who can save him. 
"...why are you studying our family photos?' I ask with a growl. 'I was admiring them,' he says. 'You have such a lovely family.' Aha! More lies! Everyone knows Mac is funny looking. "
pg. 33
     I've read one of Roanhorse's adult books, (Trail of Lightning) so I was really interested in seeing how she would do in writing a middle grade novel. (I mean there's two whole age groups in-between it!) And I have to say, she did excellent. Nizhoni is hilarious, the text is super easy to read, and the legnds are done in such an interesting way. I loved her writing style. 
"...don't worry about being cray-cray. All the best people are!"
pg. 51
     As far as the plot, I liked it for the most part. Just like with her other novel, for the main character to be a monster slayer, there weren't that many monsters to slay. But because she was on a quest, I was satisfied with the other trials she witnessed along the way. And trust me, there were some real tough ones! And as for the ending, I was not a fan. It was like this whole build up for this huge battle scene and it was over in a couple pages. But it was nice to finally see some monster fighting. 
"The world may change around us, but if we look closer, we can always see its bones."
pg. 121
     The best thing about this though was undoubtedly the representation of the Indigenous culture. This is the beauty of #OwnVoices. I know I say this every time I read an #OwnVoices novel, but I'm so happy to see so many more of them. And I respect the hell out of Riordan for knowing that he couldn't tell this story better than Roanhorse's family. He may be one of the greats, but there's no way he could do better than someone who has experienced this or close to it. And I respect the hell outta Roanhorse for making this story so amazing and so fun and giving all Native kids a story to see themselves as a hero. 
"All good things come through hard work,' she says. 'If something is too easy to get, it isn't worth much, is it?"
pg. 173
     This was truly a delight to read and I really hope it gets into the hands of the right readers! Whether that be someone who's looking to see themselves in a story, or even just someone looking for a super fun story on demigods and quests. This is definitely a book that will satisfy both and I look forward to using this, this summer during my summer reading program! 
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , , , ,