Deathless Divide by Justina Ireland

E-Audio, 14:34:23
Narrated by: Bahni Turpin
Release Date:  February 4, 2020
Published by:  MacMillan Audio
Read from: February 12-19, 2020
Dread Nation, #2
Source: Library 
TW: Segregation
For fans of: Historical Fiction, Shamblers (Zombies), Paranormal, Horror, YA

     The sequel to Dread Nation is a journey of revenge and salvation across a divided America.
After the fall of Summerland, Jane McKeene hoped her life would get simpler: Get out of town, stay alive, and head west to California to find her mother.
     But nothing is easy when you're a girl trained in putting down the restless dead, and a devastating loss on the road to a protected village called Nicodermus has Jane questioning everything she thought she knew about surviving in 1880's America.
     What's more, this safe haven is not what it appears - as Jane discovers when she sees familiar faces from Summerland amid this new society. Caught between mysteries and lies, the undead, and her own inner demons, Jane soon finds herself on a dark path of blood and violence that threatens to consume her.
But she won't be in it alone.
     Katherine Deveraux never expected to be allied with Jane McKeene. But after the hell she has endured, she knows friends are hard to come by - and that Jane needs her, too, whether Jane wants to admit it or not.
     Watching Jane's back, however, is more than she bargained for, and when they both reach a breaking point, it's up to Katherine to keep hope alive - even as she begins to fear that there is no happily-ever-after for girls like her.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     Just like in the first one, I LOVED this concept. I'm not sure how Ireland came up with this, but its so cool and I'm so happy we get to read it! It seems like it would be weird, but its so interesting and such a cool, weird way to learn something new.
     Jane McKeene is on her way to California. She's thinking life will be so much easier after all she's been through. But, just when she gets comfortable, its shown that this new town isn't all that she thought it was. Katherine is trying her best to ally with Jane, but of course, Jane won't admit it. They have to help each other to ensure survival.
     Again I say: MORE SHAMBLERS! I know I sound like a broken record, but man, this is exactly what I was hoping didn't happen in this book. I wanted more shamblers. And although there were more, there were still long stretches without anything going on. Don't get me wrong, it was still super exciting and some really crazy moments where I was left with an open mouth, but again, I wanted to see more Shamblers.
     As for the characters, there were some moments I was almost going to throw this out the window. So glad I didn't have to do that lol But, I would have. If you've read it, you know exactly which moments I'm talking about lol
    The plot was actually really good. I'm not normally one for "road trip" books, but this one was obviously different. But it was a great different. There's something amazing about seeing a strong female character going and kicking ass along the way.[SPOILER] And when it finally got to the end, there was an open ending, that means there could be a book 3! [END SPOILER] I really hope that's the case. I'll have to wait a year to see!
     Basically, this book was a great sequel to Dread Nation. I loved being back with the cast and seeing all the things they got into. If you liked Dread Nation, you definitely don't want to miss this one!
Overall, I give this



Labels: , , , , , ,