Not So Pure and Simple by Lamar Giles

E-Audio, 11:00:25
Narrated by: Korey Jackson
Release Date:  January 21, 2020
Published by:  Quill Tree Books
Read from: February 9-10, 2020
Stand-alone
Source: Library 
TW: Toxic Masculinity (but they learn from it)
For fans of: Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, Sparkly Covers, e-Audio, YA

An Indie Next List Pick!
     In his first contemporary teen novel, critically acclaimed author and two-time Edgar Award finalist Lamar Giles spotlights the consequences of societal pressure, confronts toxic masculinity, and explores the complexity of what it means to be a “real man.”
     Del has had a crush on Kiera Westing since kindergarten. And now, during their junior year, she’s finally available. So when Kiera volunteers for an opportunity at their church, Del’s right behind her. Though he quickly realizes he’s inadvertently signed up for a Purity Pledge.
     His dad thinks his wires are crossed, and his best friend, Qwan, doesn’t believe any girl is worth the long game. But Del’s not about to lose his dream girl, and that’s where fellow pledger Jameer comes in. He can put in the good word. In exchange, Del just has to get answers to the Pledgers’ questions…about sex ed.
     With other boys circling Kiera like sharks, Del needs to make his move fast. But as he plots and plans, he neglects to ask the most important question: What does Kiera want? He can’t think about that too much, though, because once he gets the girl, it’ll all sort itself out. Right?

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I was a little iffy about this one because of the religious aspect, but I really didn't have anything to worry about. This book was so good and the twist was so unexpected. Definitely wasn't something I expected. 
     Del has had a crush on Kiera since he could remember. Now he's down to the very last thing he could think of.... Joining a church club with her just so she could notice him. But his best friend doesn't believe anything in just one girl and his friend Jameer is not really any help. Del isn't the only one that likes her, so things start to get crazy as Del tried to fight the others off. But no one even thinks about what it is Kiera wants. 
     I was scared I wouldn't like this because of the religious aspect. But I gave it a try anyways. And I'm so glad I did! I didn't see the twist at the end coming. I was glad for it though, because at first I wasn't too happy with some of the things that were happening in the story. But it all turned out for the best. 
     The characters were a different story. I liked most of them, but the main character wasn't really my favorite. He definitely grew on me, so I can't be too mad at him. Kiera and Del's older sister what made me keep reading this book. They were what made this story for me. 
     As for the plot, I felt like there were too many story lines going on. The pastor, the Purity Pledge, the Youtube Videos, the best friend's drama, it kept going on and on. I know that seems normal in a realistic fiction novel, but its normally just an event or something. In this one its the same events that happen throughout the entire novel over and over. I would have just rathered it just wasn't so much going on. 
     This was full or surprises! It wasn't something I would have normally picked up, but it was great to read something out of my comfort zone. I always like to find something different than the usual I read, so this was a welcome surprise. I hope this one will surprise other readers as they read and like it too. 
Overall, I give this


Labels: , , , , , ,