Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

/|
Paperback, 332 pages
Published August 16, 2007
Razorbill Publishing
Vampire Academy #1
Source: Own


     Vladimir's Academy isn't just any boarding school - it's a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They've been on the run but now they're being dragged back to St. Vladimir's - the very place where they're most in danger...
     Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy's ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi - the world's fiercest and most dangerous vampires - make Lissa one of them forever... 


*MY THOUGHTS*
     Let me start by saying YES THIS IS MY FIRST TIME READING THIS SERIES! I am not one of those who likes to read books that have a lot of hype tied to them because I don't like the letdown if I don't feel its all its cracked up to be. This was one of those times. Granted, I didn't NOT like it, I just didn't LOVE it either. I think it was a good story, but not better than others. I just didn't feel that it was 5 star worthy. But I will be reading the rest of the series. Maybe I'll like it more as it goes on. 
     Overall, I did enjoy Mead's writing. It really kept me entertained. One of the best things was her characters. I love kick ass heroines and Rose is now one of my favorites. I love how bold, smart, and ruthless she is. Her character is everything that a strong heroine needs to be. Then Dimitri is a great match for her (as her mentor.) She looks up to him and sees him as a "bad ass" when she herself is just as bad ass. I also liked the setting. I found myself thinking of what St. Vladimir's really looked like. Yeah my imagination runs wild lol 
     Another thing I was confused about, was Dimitri. I read review after review that was like "Oh he's so dreamy, I LOVE him," but he didn't jump out to me like that. Again, maybe in the rest of the series he becomes more dominant as Rose's lover, but I just felt like "Oh ok, he's the love interest." I found myself more into Christian and Lissa's love. I think it might be because I like the bad boys, but whatever it was, I haven't fallen head over heels for Dimitri yet... He was just there. 
Overall, I give this *** (3 out of 5)

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Labels: , ,