Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

ARC Paperback, 324 pages
Published May 22, 2012
Feiwel & Friends
Of Poseidon,0 #1
Source: Own (Won from another blogger)
For fans of: Mythology, Sirens, Beaches, Hot guys, Summer Reads, Fantasy Romance

Galen, a Syrena prince, searches land for a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. It’s while Emma is on vacation at the beach that she meets Galen. Although their connection is immediate and powerful, Galen's not fully convinced that Emma's the one he's been looking for. That is, until a deadly encounter with a shark proves  that Emma and her Gift may be the only thing that can save his kingdom. He needs her help--no matter what the risk.

*MY THOUGHTS*
     First off, I want to say thank you to Amanda over at Beneath the Jacket for her wonderful giveaway that I won! This wasn't the original prize, but she was nice enough to add this in the package after a little mix up occurred. Anyways, thanks again. You provided me with my first summer read of the year! 
     What's funny, is the fact that I was not expecting to get this, nor was I expecting it to be the way it turned out to be. But in a gooooooodddd way. It was my first true Summer read, and it certainly fulfilled its purpose by sweeping me off to Florida to play in the water with the fish, Emma, and certainly Galen (hehehe). I found myself out by the pool reading this, imagining that I was in the sun and in the sand with the characters. Banks was able to create a whole new world in the "normal one" of Florida. 
     Another thing I liked were the characters. Emma is HILARIOUS. Her humor kept me engaged in her for the entire book. And on top of that, she was a strong person, not one of those "OMG my boyfriend's so hot so I'm going to do everything he says" spineless wimp people. And I loved Galen. Because he is so genuinely in love with Emma, but he can't explain his feelings, and he is harboring this secret for too long. I also enjoyed Toraf and amazingly Rayna too. Especially Rayna. She has some of the spicy attitude that I posess, so I know exactly what she was going through.
     The number one thing I loved about the book though, was the mythology. This is a very refreshing take on the Siren myths. I was able to learn something about them as well as enjoy the story. I really liked how it wasn't bogged down with the legend the whole time. It was kind of spread out and made me keep reading to the rest of the story to find out the whole thing.
     I also loved Banks' writing. She kept the water theme going by including all things fish, in their arguments, as well as what they eat and all. It really feels that she thought of everything. Including the title in the book. (IDK about you, but I <3 when an author can do that...) And she certainly can draw you into a scene. In the very beginning, that shark scene.... One word: Intense. I was literally on the edge of my seat and my heart was pounding. I knew I had to keep reading to see where it would lead to after that. Buttttt, the one thing about her writing that I didn't enjoy.... was that HUGE cliffhanger at the end! (Ok so I did enjoy it, but Banks you DID play with my emotions smh) Like really WTF was that. I desperately need the next book in the series! 
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , , ,