The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Hardcover, 527 pages
Release Date: October 23, 2012
Published by: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Mara Dyer #2
Source: Own
For fans of: Total mind effing, Hot guys, Paranormal, Romance, Suspense, & YA

Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.
She can’t.
She used to think her problems were all in her head.
They aren’t.
She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.
She’s wrong.
In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?

*MY THOUGHTS*
     Last year my favorite read of the year was "The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer," because it was just totally mind-blowing. So, when this one finally got a title and cover, I was jumping up and down in excitement. But, there was still that little thought in my mind that I always have with sequels, that it wouldn't live up to the first one. But now after finishing this, I can't tell you how much I didn't have to worry about that. 
     Evolution picks up a couple days after the ending events in Unbecoming. Mara is clearly disheveled and trying to grasp all that is going on all at once. Her family comes together to try and get her back to the healthy girl she once was and enrolls Mara into a place for teens; a psychiatric clinic. Here she is supposed to work on her issues with PTSD and other things. But, as the story goes on, we begin to learn more and more about Mara, her family, her surroundings, and Noah
     So many times throughout this book I had to stop and take a breather. Because guys, I was literally in amazement. Like I really could not believe what I was reading. (Don't believe me? Check out my GoodReads updates here...) This book will totally leave you in awe. Not only because of the weird paranormal events, but the sheer awesomeness of Hodkin's writing. 
     If you know me, you know that I LIVE off books with details. Not too many to just be made of fluff, but enough to get my heart pounding when a scary scene comes or to get me all swoony when a romantic or really sweet part comes along. And that's exactly what Hodkin did. I was on the edge of my seat for most of this story just from being pulled into Mara's mind. So many chilling events had me so in awe that I was complaining to my boyfriend that I wouldn't be right after I finished this one. And the fact that everything ties together makes it even more enjoyable. For example, just Google Mara's middle name and you will know exactly what I mean. I was intrigued by it and did it and I was seriously sitting slack jawed for a full ten seconds. Guys, this book is seriously creepy, but I enjoyed every SECOND of it. 
     But, just like last time, the part I loved most was Noah Shaw. Gah so many swoon worthy moments in this book! You can tell how much I loved those moments too by my status updates. He definitely clinched his spot as my all time favorite book boyfriends with that "Birthday do over" scene. With that being said, I do NOT believe the ending of this book. It just CANNOT be. Hodkin would NOT do that to me her readers! And as if that wasn't enough, that cliff hanger was bananas too. 
     I guess its safe to say.... After reading this..... Mind = BLOWN!
Overall, I give this

Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Labels: , , , , , ,