Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. Each week we will post a new Top Ten list. Everyone is welcome to join.
This week's topic is:
Top 10 Words/Topics that will make you NOT pick up a book!
*These are in no particular order.
1. Fairies: Guys, I'm just not a fan of them. I don't know why I don't like them, but I just don't. Unless they're in the Mortal Instruments series (And that's only because there are a variety of different paranormal creatures in it.) or if its by an author I've read and loved before.
2. Vampires: After Twilight came out, EVERYTHING was all about vampires. I just got burnt out on them. (But I DO want to read The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black... Because let's face it... the cover is gorgeous.)
3. Werewolves: Same reason as above. I just don't want to keep reading about the same thing. (But I DO want to give Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock a try. I've heard some great things about it!)
4. If I've Seen in reviews that its like a Twilight rip-off: Guys I HATE this. I read Twilight already. Multiple times. I do NOT need to read it again with a different name.
5. Ugly covers: Call me shallow, but its the truth. If your book cover is ugly, I will NOT read it. I know its a bad habit because I almost missed out on Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles because I hated the cover, but I gave it a try and I LOVED it!
6. Very little to no romance: Ok, I don't care what kind of genre it is, I love ALL genres. But I do need some romance in it to stomach some. Just to make it believable Every girl and/or boy thinks about the being with someone. It's just human nature.
7. Sci-fi: This may seem weird seeing as how my favorite series is The Lunar Chronicles, but I was even shocked I've liked that. I'm trying to expand my horizons by reading Alienated by Melissa Landers since I was so surprised by Marissa Meyer.
8. Realistic historical fiction: Ok, don't all shoot me at once. I just don't like history. And if it is based on anything like that, I probably won't read it. Like Prisoner B-3087 by Alan Gratz. I will read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak though. I'm actually trying to get emotionally prepared for it. I've heard so many people say they've cried buckets that I'm a little nervous.
9. Audio-books: If I haven't read the book before, I will not listen to it. My attention span is ridiculously short and I don't want to tune it out and miss anything. If I have read it, I can listen to the book and tune it out as I like.
10. Dystopias: Ok, I like them a little, but only as long as its not just your average dystopia. It even took me two tries to read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins because at first I didn't like it. The only Dystopia I've really read and just LOVED the first time through was the Divergent series by Veronica Roth! Maybe because it has that hint of romance that I need.
What makes you NOT want to read a book?!