Where the Stars Still Shine by Trish Doller

Nook e-Book, 210 pages
Release Date: September 24, 2013
Published by: Bloomsbury USA Children's
Stand-alone
Source: Own
For fans of: Romance, Contemporary, Young Adult, Sparkly Covers, Realistic Fiction

     Stolen as a child from her large and loving family, and on the run with her mom for more than ten years, Callie has only the barest idea of what normal life might be like. She's never had a home, never gone to school, and has gotten most of her meals from laundromat vending machines. Her dreams are haunted by memories she’d like to forget completely. But when Callie’s mom is finally arrested for kidnapping her, and Callie’s real dad whisks her back to what would have been her life, in a small town in Florida, Callie must find a way to leave the past behind. She must learn to be part of a family. And she must believe that love--even with someone who seems an improbable choice--is more than just a possibility.
     Trish Doller writes incredibly real teens, and this searing story of love, betrayal, and how not to lose your mind will resonate with readers who want their stories gritty and utterly true.
 

*MY THOUGHTS*

     Family by one of its definition means, all the descendants of a common ancestor. But when you think of your mother and father and everyone else that makes up your family, it means so much more than that. And this novel makes you cherish the family that you have.
"'...Evil had a way of finding you even when you think you're protected..."
2% (Nook Book)
     Callie is a seventeen year old girl that has been on the run with her mother for more than ten years. Her life has never been anything to remember, but something happens that lands her mother in police custody and her sent back to her father in Florida. When she gets there she's distant from her family members while everyone is so excited to see her after all that time. And I respect that. She didn't know them. But sometimes, enough is enough.
"'You have the power to write your own fortune."
51% (Nook Book)
     I can't really say that I was mad at Callie for doing the things she did because I've never been in that type of situation. But at the same time, sometimes enough is enough. But I'm a firm believer of "tough love." She wasn't doing anything but hurting Callie and everyone that she was associated with. She was only concerned with herself. I wanted Callie to know that she was selfish. But at the same time it was her mother. I know she always wanted to look past any wrong she had done. But then there was Callie's dad's side of the family. I loved them. They never hesitated to let her back in. They may have forgotten that she wasn't the same little girl, but they still wanted to get to know her. They still wanted to love her like she was.
"'You may go off on your own to work through your thoughts, but the difference is -and this is important- you come back"
54% (Nook Book)
     As for the romance, I wasn't exactly sold on it. I understand that she was going through some really rough things (like sexual abuse, family troubles, mental abuse, neglect, and various others) and her comfort was found in other people, mainly men, but for the man to fall for her like he did... I'm not exactly sure how I felt about that. Maybe because he was older, but I just felt like it was a little insta-lovey. But that's just me. I felt like he could've grown to a little more to her. Especially with all the drama she had going on. Granted he didn't realize who she was, but when he did, I just think he would've been like....ummmm.
"You're like your father in that regard-[...]- "I suspect that you're not running away so much as you are running to something or someone'"
54% (Nook Book)
     In this sophomore novel from Doller, you see all kinds of different issues that most people won't think twice about in a fictional novel. It is so much different from all other YA novels out there. I appreciate her dare to be different. It has only convinced me that everything she writes, I will buy.
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , ,