Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang

ARC, 246 pages
Release Date: September 9, 2014
Published by: GreenWillow Books
Stand-alone
For fans of: Contemporary, Romance, Drama, Realistic Fiction

     On the day Liz Emerson tries to die, they had reviewed Newton’s laws of motion in physics class. Then, after school, she put them into practice by running her Mercedes off the road.
     Why? Why did Liz Emerson decide that the world would be better off without her? Why did she give up? Vividly told by an unexpected and surprising narrator, this heartbreaking and nonlinear novel pieces together the short and devastating life of Meridian High’s most popular junior girl. Mass, acceleration, momentum, force—Liz didn’t understand it in physics, and even as her Mercedes hurtles toward the tree, she doesn’t understand it now. How do we impact one another? How do our actions reverberate? What does it mean to be a friend? To love someone? To be a daughter? Or a mother? Is life truly more than cause and effect? Amy Zhang’s haunting and universal story will appeal to fans of Lauren Oliver, Gayle Forman, and Jay Asher.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     First off, I love this cover. I was first drawn in by the car that's falling and the science equations that are surrounding it. And then I saw the synopsis. And when I saw that it will appeal to fans of Gayle Forman, I knew I had to get my hands on it. 
"Liz was afraid of silence, and she kept her fears clenched so tightly in her fists that they grew and grew and swallowed her whole."
(ARC)
     This story ripped my heart to shreds. I can not put into words the amount of emotion that I felt while reading this. My heart hurt for Liz in so many ways. Just by reading the synopsis I had no idea about all the things she's suffering with. I can tell that Liz was a great pretender. Just by looking at her I'm sure people thought she was happy and that she had it all. But reading all her drama and everything that was really happening, it was obvious she was not the girl that everyone thought she was.  
"It's hard to lie when the truth is dying in front of you."
(ARC)
     I also loved the writing style. It was GORGEOUS. And then I saw that it was written by a high school girl and I was BLOWN AWAY. If I could write that way in high school, I would probably be rich and retired by now lol Seriously, job well done Zhang. You captured me from the very beginning and I did not want to put it down.
"They're crying for themselves, for fear of death, for the loss of faith in their own invincibility, because if Liz Emerson is mortal, they all are."
(ARC)
     I also loved the way the story was told. It jumped around to different parts and wasn't exactly told in a linear form. I loved that because it kept it suspenseful. Just when I thought it was finally about to tell me the entire story, it waited just a little longer by switching to the next part. And then the chapters got smaller which made my heart beat speed up because of how nervous I had gotten. 
"Funny things, aren't they? People. They're so limited. Seeing is believing and all that.."
(ARC)
     The last thing I loved was the narrator. I don't want to say who it is, but seeing the story from that POV made it a little more special. It makes you look at your own life and see what that person in your situation would say. It was really creative, which brings it right back to the writing style. I can't wait to see more of Zhang's creativity. 
Overall, I give this


Labels: , , ,