Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Hardcover, 390 pages
Release Date: August 24, 2010
Published by: Scholastic Press
The Hunger Games, #3
Source: Own
For fans of: Action, Dystopian, Post Apocalyptic, Romance, YA


My name is Katniss Everdeen.

Why am I not dead?

I should be dead.
     Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.
     It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans--except Katniss.
     The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay--no matter what the personal cost.
 

*MY THOUGHTS*

     Well, well, well... I didn't think I was ever going to read this book after the book was spoiled for me. But with the movie coming out next week (OMG... And I don't think it needs to be split into two parts...) I said screw it. At least that way there won't be anymore surprises in the movie.
"Some walks you have to take alone."
pg. 5
     Just like The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, Mockingjay was full of action and surprises. Panem is still on the brink of war and Katniss is still represented as the Girl on Fire. But Katniss now has a decision to make... Does she really want to stop being a pawn of the Capitol's and become one of the rebellion? Either way she still has to be used by a side in the war.
"I'm going to be the Mockingjay"
pg. 31
     This book wasn't really that great to me though. But the only reason why is because it was spoiled for me and I kept waiting for the "big event" to happen. (Damn you Tumblr memes!!!!!) But if I minus out that fact, it made it so much better. I wish I could read it when everyone else did. Before there was stuff all over the internet. But the fact of the matter is, I still liked the twists and turns that the plot was taking. What I didn't like, was the weak fight scenes. One of my favorite things from the first book was how Katniss and Peeta were set in these crazy scenes but they always came out on top. Part of me loving the book was watching the way she became a victor over and over again. But I felt that was missing in this one. All the fight scenes were over as fast as they started and it was just death instead of fighting. Like there was no build up to the death I guess? I'm not sure how to explain it, but I guess that's what I mean.
"Fire is catching! [...] And if we burn, YOU BURN WITH US!."
pg. 31
     Other than that, I did feel like it was an ok ending to an epic series. Although I can see where some people hated this one, I have to say I agree, but I don't. Mockingjay is certainly not my favorite one in the series, but I didn't hate it. Just like the rest of the series, I'll be rereading it someday. If not for any other reason but for the extremely cute epilogue. It was a super cute ending to a series so scary, but at the same time, I liked that it gave a look into their future. I would've been a little upset without it.
"You love me. Real or not real?' I tell him "Real."
pg. 390
     Throughout this series Katniss has grown into the Mockingjay that every one was hoping for. No the series didn't turn out exactly as I wanted it to, but what series ever does? I'm glad I finally gave in and read it all the way through.
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , , , ,