Beyond the Book: Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen


This bookish feature is an original by me! I had the epiphany for this the other day when I was writing out my 15 bookish confessions. (See #7) A lot of times I like to go "beyond the book" and do something that will connect me with the book and characters a little more. It will pop up on Mondays! Be on the look out for which books caught my eye and made me go beyond just reading it! 

Saint Anything

"My mom's favorite is Saint Anthony, the finder of lost things. She has this rhyme she says when any thing's missing: 'Tony, Tony turn around. Something lost that must be found."'

 
   When I started reading this I thought it was obvious that I would do one of these on the best pizza, garlic knots, and french fries around, because let's be honest.... This book was full of them! I mean mine wouldn't have been Seaside, but Papa John's did a pretty good job of fixing my craving! (Yes that is RANCH pictured next to my pizza and garlic knot... I have a habit of eating my pizza with Ranch. I've been doing it since middle school.)
     But after reading the above quote and continuing on (didn't want to include the rest for fear of spoilers.....) I knew what I needed to do for this Beyond the Book. She described her brother as needing the Patron Saint of wanderers and he wears a Saint Bathilde pendant, so I decided to do this over the "Saint pendant that I might wear. I looked through names and pictures and found a couple that might describe me, but the one most like me was: Saint Jerome, Patron Saint of Librarians. He began a huge personal library, he was a bibliophile and a hermit, his learning was considered unequaled, and he was an insatiable reader. DOES THAT NOT SOUND LIKE ME?! lol Add on to the fact that I am studying to be a librarian, and OMG I knew that was the one that was most like me!
     What made me really want to look into the Patron Saints more is the fact that my granny used to sing a rhyme similar to that one quoted above. Her's went like this: "Dear Saint Anthony, please come down! Something is lost and can't be found!" And she used to repeat that over and over when me or my mom couldn't find something.

What Patron Saint pendant would you wear? 

Have you ever had such a connection with a book that you had to go beyond just reading it? 
Join me on Mondays with Beyond the Book! 


Labels: