Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

Hardcover,  418 pages
Release Date: August 27, 2013
Published by: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Throne of Glass, #2
Source: Own
For fans of: Action, High Fantasy, Magic, Romance, Fae, Sword Fights, Hot Literary Guys, YA


      "A line that should never be crossed is about to be breached.
It puts this entire castle in jeopardy—and the life of your friend."
     From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul as black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.
     Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.
     Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie... and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     When I read books like this I always find myself singing "Don't be tardy to the party" in my head. Because that's exactly how I think of it as. I read The Assassin's Blade and Throne of Glass and I was all "meh" but everyone kept telling me to just give it a chance. So I finally went for it and hot damn I should have read this a long time ago.
"The best lies were always mixed with truth."
pg. 14
     As the his Champion, Celaena has been doing the King's bidding day in and day out. Or so he thinks. She doesn't let anyone know what she's doing. Well until she sees that there's other people there that wanted the same things she did. But no one says anything to her. But then one night, everything boiled over. And none of them, including Celaena, were ready.
"There is a far deadlier power poised to devour the world."
pg. 52
     I can admit, I started this back in February and put it down because there were so many other books that came out that month and because the beginning didn't intrigue me. So I just blew over it. But now that I've finished the entire book, I want to go back to my past self and kick myself in the face. Part one was pretty slow, but once I got to Part two, there was no stopping me. I found myself reading it at every place I was. I couldn't NOT read it. It was one of those books. 
"Hide from your fate all you like... [...] But it shall soon find you!."
pg. 158
     The main thing that got me to fall for this book were ALL THE FEELLLLLLSSSS! I loved the highs. When things were good, they were AMAZING. And then things began to get even better. But then, like with everything else, came the lows. And "by the Wyrd" they were lower than the gutter. But the worse part, was the fact that Maas gave me so much hope. Thinking that there was a smidgen of something that would be able to save it. And then Maas dropped my hope, me, and my feels all over again. I finished this book a couple hours ago and my heart is still bleeding. 
"You will always be my enemy."
pg. 252
     And now, let's talk about this freaking ending. How in the world did you people wait for Heir of Fire after that ending?! I'm having a hard time waiting on HoF just to come in at the library for me! But really, there are 335485120204949263685203441005732 questions I have that need to be answered. Someone please tell me they're all answered in the next book!
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , , , ,