Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas

Hardcover, 562 pages
Release Date: September 2, 2014
Published by: Bloomsbury USA Children's 
Throne of Glass, #3
Source: Library
For fans of: High Fantasy, Fae, Action, Sparkly Covers, Girl Power, YA


She was the heir of ash and fire, and she would bow to no one.
     Celaena Sardothien has survived deadly contests and shattering heartbreak—but at an unspeakable cost. Now she must travel to a new land to confront her darkest truth...a truth about her heritage that could change her life—and her future—forever.
     Meanwhile, brutal and monstrous forces are gathering on the horizon, intent on enslaving her world. To defeat them, Celaena must find the strength to not only fight her inner demons but to battle the evil that is about to be unleashed.
     The king's assassin takes on an even greater destiny and burns brighter than ever before in this follow-up to the New York Times bestselling Crown of Midnight.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I have so many thoughts about this one swirling around in my head. Some good, some bad, some happy, and some sad. But all of them are happy that I waited to read this now and not when it first released. Just like with Crown of Midnight, I'm not sure how you people waited for this one, I'm not sure how you people waited so long for Queen of Shadows... Here I am sick just waiting for a couple days. 
"A dagger poised to slip between the ribs usually did a good deal more convincing than actual words."
pg. 11
     Celaena has made her way to Wendlyn on the request of the King of Adarlan. To a place where she learns more about the magic that's been obliterated in her world and more importantly, more about herself. While there it seems that time has stopped and she is learning things about her past that will most definitely effect her future. But then those same things catch up with her, as they always do. But then things get interesting as all the questions raised in this novel are answered and those answered raise more questions.
"At least you've already learned one lesson. [...] The people you love are just weapons that will be used against you."
pg. 162
     For the first half of this book I have to admit I wasn't impressed. I was actually really bored. For so many people to have rated it 5 stars, I just wasn't getting it yet. But after reading Crown of Midnight, I knew that I just had to make it to Part 2 and I knew it would pick up after that. But geez did it have to take so long? There seemed to be so much back story and most of it I didn't care about. Such ass Manon. Maybe she'll be important in Queen of Shadows, but for this one, it just seemed like it was pointless. Even though the chapters with her were pretty creepy, it just didn't make sense to be there. And on top of that, I really think it could have been a lot shorter had we taken those out. Maybe gave us half the back story in the next installment or even just let it go. 
"...I am very glad to be a mortal, and only have to endure this life once. These days I don't envy you at all."
pg. 202
     Another reason I didn't like this one at first was because Celaena wasn't the Celaena I've come to know. She was acting like a baby and all woe is me and not bad ass. So because of that, I wasn't a fan of her here. But then when she finally came to start acting like herself again, that's when I fell in love with this book. I just wish the entire book had been like the last 150 something pages. With those I couldn't read the pages fast enough. 
"There are worse things than death."
pg. 421
     Now that I got that out, I DID love all the feels this story brought out. Although it turned her into a different person, there were so many times I did the pouty face (yes I do this IRL when I'm reading) because I felt so sad for her. And then I got to the ending with the theater scene, the "Get up" scene, and then everything that happened at the end-end, and all that just broke me. I literally put the book down for a little at those scenes. I can only imagine whats to come in the next installment. 
"She was the queen and could offer them nothing  less."
pg. 469
     And last but not least, Rowan.... I fell for him. I'm not even sure how. I was like the freaking Captain of the "Chaena" ship, but after meeting Rowan and that one comment he made.... I walked the plank from that one and went right over to #TeamCelwan. I can't wait to see what happens next with them. Because I can't believe that Maas would obliterate BOTH my ships. Not to me or to Celaena lol 
"...And then I am going to rattle the stars."
pg. 561
     I hate that I have to wait so long before things start happening, but I love that there is so much that happens in the end. It can change my ratings in the blink of an eye and any book like that truly makes me appreciate it more. I can't wait to see what else this series has in store. 


Labels: , , , , , ,