Top Ten Bookish Troupes I Want to Quit Reading About

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the BookishEach week we will post a new Top Ten list. Everyone is welcome to join.   

This week's topic is:
Top Ten Bookish Troupes I Want to Quit Reading About

Troupes: A familiar and repeated symbol, meme, theme, motif, style, character, or thing that permeates a particular type of literature. They are usually tied heavily to genre. They can also be plots or events.  
(Taken from IROSF)


 1. Missing parents in YA: WHY IS THIS STILL A THING?! I don't know about you all, but regardless of being the only parent in the household, my mom was STILL all up in my business. Yes she worked all the time, but she still knew where I was and what I wass doing at all times. Idk how all these teens have all this free time in YA. 

2. Love Triangles: Ugh I'm over it. There are too many people in the world for everyone to be fighting over each other. I know that these are very much true in today's society, but's let's leave them alone for now ok? 

3. The Mean Girl: Not saying I want to do away with this one because I know they are very much real, but can we stop making the mean girl a cheerleader please? I know a couple people who are mean and were in the band.... I'm just saying. 

4. Conveniently misfired gun (Thrillers): I read thrillers all the time and it would be nice to see if one character could actually get away by doing something else other than having their gun misfire or something else happen. How about the character actually gets shot and they have to try to survive through the pain? It would make it so much more exciting! 

5. OMGGGG I'M A WHAT?!: Although I do like these stories, they are something I want to quit reading. It's become too cliche and now I'd rather read something else. 

6. Eureka!: By this I mean the climax of the story is happening and has it's readers on pins and needles while reading because they think they won't make it. But then out of nowhere comes the main character who can do the EXACT right thing to save the day. 

7. All American Girl/Boy: There is never anyone that perfect as teens. And those that are almost always have something wrong with them, people just don't know about it lol Please just make it easier on us and tell us what it is outright lol 

8. Insta-love: How many of you knew I would include this on there? Don't get me wrong, I do believe there is such a thing as lust or like at first sight, because that's what atttraction IS. But I don't believe you can meet the guy/girl on page 15 and start confessing your love for them on page 17. It just doesn't work that way for me. At least have them mention that they LIKE each otehr first. 

9. Boarding Schools (Fantasy): I'm sure there are other places you can go to find out what you are and develop your powers? Maybe an after school program? lol jk I'm just tired of reading them in fantasy books. Can we just have someone that develops his/her powers in  a more natural way? (Thank you Sarah J. Maas for Heir of Fire!) 

10. A civil/international war wiped out the US (Dystopians): Can we make it something like a huge asteroid wiped us out like the dinosaurs instead? Or can we make it like global warming and all the water came through and wiped out the earth? (I think that was in The Ward, but I wasn't a fan of it and DNF'd so someone tell me if I need to go back and read it... Or if you have any other recs like this, PLEASE LEAVE THEM WITH ME.) 

What are some of your least favorite troupes? 
What are some of your favorites? 

Labels: