Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman

Hardcover, 336 pages
Release Date: September 1, 2015
Published by: HMH Books for Young Readers
Stand-alone
Source: Library
For fans of: Westerns, Adventure, Romance, Historical Fiction, YA


     Revenge is worth its weight in gold.
     When her father is murdered for a journal revealing the location of a hidden gold mine, eighteen-year-old Kate Thompson disguises herself as a boy and takes to the gritty plains looking for answers—and justice. What she finds are untrustworthy strangers, endless dust and heat, and a surprising band of allies, among them a young Apache girl and a pair of stubborn brothers who refuse to quit riding in her shadow. But as Kate gets closer to the secrets about her family, a startling truth becomes clear: some men will stop at nothing to get their hands on gold, and Kate’s quest for revenge may prove fatal.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I waiteed to write this review because I am currently the black sheep of this story. But it's actually for good reason. When I said I wanted to read this one, it was because so many people had convinced me that even though they didn't like Westerns, this was still a cool book to read! 
     Revenge is sweet. Or so Kate thinks so anyway. That's why she's doing her damnedest to try and achieve it. But she ends up finding way more than she bargained for. Finding what she needs may prove to be more dangerous than what she expected.
     Everyone LOVED this one and convinced me that I would love it too. Unfortunately, that's not what happened. I had a hard time reading this one because I'm not a fan of historical fiction OR Westerns. Even the language was hard for me to get over. From me not being a fan of either of them it took long to get used to what she was saying and finally it got boring trying to decipher it. Granted it wasn't THAT hard, but I'd rather read and not have to decipher what they're saying. 
     Ironically, the way it was written was what I liked most about the book. It was evident that Bowman worked very hard on this book, so for me to just say I didn't like it didn't seem fair. This book just wasn't my cup of tea. Maybe at another time I may pick it back up, but for now, I had to give it up. 
.


Labels: , , , ,