This is Where it Ends by Marieke Nijkamp

e-ARC, 292 pages
Release Date: January 5, 2016
Published by: Sourcebooks Fire
Stand-alone
Source: NetGalley (This galley was given to me to read and give a just and honest review. All thoughts written under the review are my own.) 
For fans of: #WNDB, LGBTQIA, Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, Tear-Jerkers, DEAR, Sparkly Covers, Grief, YA


10:00 a.m.
     The principal of Opportunity, Alabama's high school finishes her speech, welcoming the entire student body to a new semester and encouraging them to excel and achieve.
10:02 a.m.
     The students get up to leave the auditorium for their next class.
10:03
     The auditorium doors won't open.
10:05
     Someone starts shooting.
     Told over the span of 54 harrowing minutes from four different perspectives, terror reigns as one student's calculated revenge turns into the ultimate game of survival.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I was going to wait until next month to read and review this, but there are already finished copies out so I wanted to make sure I got my review out there in time! If you haven't seen, the reviews are all over the place with this one. They're either extremely bad or extremely good. Mine is on the good side and I encourage you all to at least give this one a shot before not reading it. 
"Fear and survival are two sides of the same coin."
21%
     This incredible story is told in literally 54 minutes. It's the story of a school shooting told in four different Point of Views from people who have something to do with the shooter. The frightening tale will leave you breathless.
"Terror is our strongest force, because we're only afraid when we have something to lose- our lives, our loves... our dignity."
21%
     One of the best things about this book was the diversity. There's all kinds, from kids with disabilities, LGBTQIA+, and different ethnicities. And not only was it featured in the book, but it was also VERY HONEST. For instance, one of the kids is Muslim. In one part it states, for him to be careful because "the police may assume he was the shooter." I don't agree with it either, but being honest, that's how most people nowadays would feel. And that's what we need. For people to wake up and see the harm they're causing when they assume things like that. Not only there, but with any other thing. Diversity is not bad, and I'm glad Nijkamp took this realistic stand for it. 
"I thought the walls kept courage out, but maybe they are actually keeping it in. We're not just fighting for survival- we're fighting for hope and a thousand tomorrows."
51%
     You can't talk about this book without talking about ALL THE FEELS. I didn't want to put it down because I wanted to keep reading, but I was also terrified to finish it. To be honest, my feelings about this book were all over the place and I couldn't even make a freaking sound decision about what rating I wanted to give it. When I finally finished it my eyes were red and puffy and I had to get to work. It was embarrassing, but it wouldn't be the first time I looked like I had no sleep because of a book.
"I never realized courage was so terrifying."
88%
     The only thing I would change about the book was the background to what happened never really came. It was mentioned, but it was never really TOLD. I probably would have connected with it more had I known more about why he wanted to kill all these people. I also didn't like the ending. I wanted way more than what he got. I had to remind myself that this wasn't real because I got really angry. 
"...it's so, so impossible to believe."
900%
     Your emotions will go crazy while reading this one. You'll get caught up in the beautiful prose, and once you open it you won't want to close it until it's finished and you know how it ends. You will be so immersed in this book you'll forget its a debut. 

 Overall, I give this

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,