Middle Grade Monday: Roller Girl by Victoria Jamieson

ROCK (1)
Hardcover, 252 pages
Release Date: March 10, 2015
Published by: Dial Books
Stand-alone
Source: Library
For fans of: Graphic Novels, Diversity, Girl Power, Sports, Middle Grade 


     For fans of Raina Telgemeier’s Smile, a heartwarming graphic novel about friendship and surviving junior high through the power of roller derby.
     Twelve-year-old Astrid has always done everything with her best friend Nicole. So when Astrid signs up for roller derby camp, she assumes Nicole will too. But Nicole signs up for dance camp with a new friend instead, and so begins the toughest summer of Astrid's life. There are bumps and bruises as Astrid learns who she is without Nicole...and what it takes to be a strong, tough roller girl.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I had been wanting to read this since it's release last year, but it was never in the library when I went to look for it. It seemed to be a hot commodity which made me want it even more. Finally I was able to grab it. And even though I'm not necessarily a graphic novel fan, I did like them.
     This is one book that I never thought I'd read and 100% enjoy. Why? Because I'm not a huge fan of graphic novels. As word person I find myself reading the words and flying through them instead of looking at the accompanying pictures. When reading these I normally fly through it the first time and then go through and look at the pictures. But this time I actually took my time and read it. It was just that good. The pictures were bold and so pretty and the entire book just took my breath away.
     What I loved most about this book was the diversity. There's a POC that is someone the main character Astrid looks up to and it made me so happy to see that. She's even called a "super hero" and I was so happy I took a picture of it. As a diverse people we need characters like this in all books, but especially children's books. REPRESENTATION MATTERS.
     Another thing I loved about this book was the real life situations it showed. There was growth, friendship, and at some parts, some of it was scary. When I was twelve, those are the things that went through my mind and I appreciate that this book showed this real life situation.
     And last but certainly not least, I was so happy that they showed they showed the entire growth of Astrid. She was scared at first, but as she grew she learned how to do things on her own and she didn't need everyone that she thought she did. She is the true definition of Girl Power and I definitely admire the character she came to be. And the Roller Derby name she ends up picking?! I LOVED it and the meaning behind it. Astrid is a character I will remember for a long time.
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , ,