Allegiant: Book to Screen Review



PG-13, 120 minutes
Release Date: March 18, 2016

   After the earth-shattering revelations of Insurgent, Tris must escape with Four beyond the wall that encircles Chicago, to finally discover the shocking truth of the world around them.  . (From IMDb)

*MY THOUGHTS*

     Honestly, it was a lot better than I was expecting. I was a little worried about the way it would be different from the book, but it wasn't really that bad. 
     When I say that, I mean it lightly. All the concepts from the book were there, but there were some big differences as well. For instance, there's the whole thing about where they are in the book. They MEET at the airport, but in the movie, they're stuck there. I just thought that sucked because it really changed what I thought the world outside the wall looked like in my head. Add on to that, the rest of the outside world does not look at ALL what I pictured and I can honestly say I was not impressed. It just looked like a weird other planet. (Speaking of which, the outside world was so bad I had even someone who's never read them come to me and say: "If they have all that technology both outside and inside the world, why the hell did they not clean up the planet first?"EXACTLY.) There's other huge differences, but I won't go into detail for spoilers. But this is the main reason why I wasn't really a fan. There were just too many differences.
     Another reason I didn't like it..... If every big thing that happened in that book happened in this movie, WTH is part 2 going to be about? Are they going to make it up as they go along? Are they going to make the movie 30 minutes? Are they going to incorporate some of the stories from Four? Because if memory serves correctly, there wasn't much else that happens in the book besides the "big thing." I looked around on-line for some answers, but everyone is thinking the same things I am. With me being such a stickler for book to movie details and seeing the similarities, I don't really know how to feel about this. 
     But in all actuality, Allegiant wasn't my favorite book of the series anyways so I didn't really expect much from this movie. But I at least expected them to TRY to make it better for us book fans. Or at least give it a real reason as to why there needed to be two movies. Because as of right now, I'm not sure I support this decision. 
Overall, I give this
(Real rating 2.5, but I rounded up!)

Labels: , , , , ,