With Malice by Eileen Cook

ARC, 316 pages
Release Date: June 7, 2016
Published by: HMH Books for Young Readers
Stand-alone
Source: TLA
For fans of: Thrillers, Mystery, Realistic Fiction, Contemporary


     A read about a teenage girl who wakes up in a hospital bed and cannot remember the last six weeks of her life, including the accident that killed her best friend--only what if the accident wasn't an accident?
     Eighteen-year-old Jill Charron wakes up in a hospital room, leg in a cast, stitches in her face and a big blank canvas where the last 6 weeks should be. She comes to discover she was involved in a fatal accident while on a school trip in Italy three days previous but was jetted home by her affluent father in order to receive quality care. Care that includes a lawyer. And a press team. Because maybe the accident...wasn't an accident. Wondering not just what happened but what she did, Jill tries to piece together the events of the past six weeks before she loses her thin hold on her once-perfect life.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     The person that pitched this to me told me it would be a book that I would want to read in one sitting. And then I talked to some other friends that had read review copies as well and they all told me it would be one that I loved. I was a little afraid because I'm usually scared of overly hyped books, but this one definitely passed the test. 
"Beauty fades; stupid is forever."
pg. 27 (ARC)
     Jill wakes up in a hospital with no recollection of how she got there or what she had been doing the night before. Unfortunately she learns that there was an accident that killed her best friend. But then rumors start circulating where everyone else doesn't really think it was an accident......
"We don't have a lot of time to waste. That girl's parents are demanding answers..."
pg. 31 (ARC)
     Obviously the best part of this was the thriller. Every time some other clue was introduced, my heart aped up faster and faster. I found myself not wanting to do anything but read it straight through and find out who the culprit was. The publisher was not lying when they said this was one you'll want to read straight through.
"Not everything had a deep meaning."
pg. 166 (ARC)
     I also enjoyed the pacing. With most thrillers they give you all the information in the beginning and then sporadically give you information towards the end. This book will keep you guessing until literally the last pages! The way the story is told shows Cook's amazing talent and I can't wait to read another thriller by her. 
"Drama is like honey- it draws all the flies."
pg. 192 (ARC)
     Lastly, I normally give a rating lower for thrillers that I can guess who the person is, but this one was so well done and so well planned that I stuck with the original 5 star rating. Regardless of the fact that I was able to guess, it was still so much better than a lot of others where I've guessed the culprit and I don't think it deserved to be grouped with them. It made for an epic ending and I can't wait for everyone to read it! 
"You can't tell anything about a person when things are great. If you want to really knoe someone, be there when everything goes to hell."
pg. 244  (ARC)
     In case you couldn't tell from my fangirling, this book was definitely good. Honestly one of the best thrillers I've read in a long time. I can't wait to see more by Cook! (Please tell me you have another thriller up your sleeve because HONESTLY.)
Overall, I give this