The Heart of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson

ARC, 290 pages
Release Date: July 57, 2016
Published by: Hnery Holt & Co.
Read from: DNF
THe Remnant Chronicles, #2
Source: Library
For fans of: Fantasy, Romance, Magic


     Held captive in the barbarian kingdom of Venda, Lia and Rafe have little chance of escape. Desperate to save Lia's life, her erstwhile assassin, Kaden, has told the Vendan Komizar that she has the gift, and the Komizar's interest in Lia is greater than anyone could have foreseen.
     Meanwhile, nothing is straightforward: There's Rafe, who lied to Lia but has sacrificed his freedom to protect her; Kaden, who meant to assassinate her but has now saved her life; and the Vendans, whom Lia always believed to be savages. Now that she lives among them, however, she realizes that may be far from the truth. Wrestling with her upbringing, her gift, and her sense of self, Lia must make powerful choices that will affect her country... and her own destiny.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose friends over this review, but I really think this series just isn't for me. 
    To be honest I think it was just the narrator. If I had been reading this book out right, I would have liked it so much more I think. It would not have bothered me so much if I had a different voice, but I just didn't care for the narrator. Maybe I'll try again with reading it myself to find out what all the five stars are about. 
    The second thing was the hype. I wasn't a fan of the first one for the same reason, so when I got to this one I just KNEW it was going to be a good one. And yet it started out the same. I wanted to know about all that happened with the characters, but then it just didn't seem to be any different to me. I think I may be just consulting Recaptains to see what happens at the end that has everyone dying. 
     But all in all, this took me so long to try reading because I was falling asleep and having to rewind it and then I couldn't get myself to pay attention. To be honest I think I checked out after the first one. I wasn't a fan so I went into the next one not excited about it already. 
     As the black sheep I was terrified to write this review, so please don't shun me lol I want to maybe try again by reading the actual book and not the audio. Maybe that might work better for me. 

Labels: