Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake

ARC,  416 pages
Release Date: September 20, 2016
Published by: HarperTeen
Read from: September 19
Three Dark Crowns, #1
Source: TxLA
For fans of: Fantasy, Paranormal, YA

     Every generation on the island of Fennbirn, a set of triplets is born: three queens, all equal heirs to the crown and each possessor of a coveted magic. Mirabella is a fierce elemental, able to spark hungry flames or vicious storms at the snap of her fingers. Katharine is a poisoner, one who can ingest the deadliest poisons without so much as a stomachache. Arsinoe, a naturalist, is said to have the ability to bloom the reddest rose and control the fiercest of lions.
     But becoming the Queen Crowned isn’t solely a matter of royal birth. Each sister has to fight for it. And it’s not just a game of win or lose…it’s life or death. The night the sisters turn sixteen, the battle begins. The last queen standing gets the crown.
     If only it was that simple. Katharine is unable to tolerate the weakest poison, and Arsinoe, no matter how hard she tries, can’t make even a weed grow. The two queens have been shamefully faking their powers, taking care to keep each other, the island, and their powerful sister Mirabella none the wiser. But with alliances being formed, betrayals taking shape, and ruthless revenge haunting the queens’ every move, one thing is certain: the last queen standing might not be the strongest…but she may be the darkest.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     When I heard this book was going to be potentially at TLA, I was stalking it everyday trying to get it. I needed it in my hands. But then when it was finally time to sit down and read it, I can't lie, I was highly disappointed. 
     What grabbed me was the synopsis. I was so intrigued by the idea of triplets and then trying to decide who the last one standing was going to be. But that also ended up being my reason for not liking the book. I was not a fan of how I made it about 80+ pages in and there were still charracters being introduced and the plot was taking a back burner. I remember being s afraid that I was the only one who was bored by this that I even asked on Goodreads. I was a little disappointed because I wanted to read this book for SO LONG and as it turned out, I wasn't enjoying it at all.
     I was also a little disappointed because I had heard so much about the ending! I've heard it's so amazing, but I can't make myself get to that point. I wanted something super dark and creepy, and the part I read didn't have that at all, so I didn't plan on making it to the end. Also, I had seen people saying that the only "page-turning" part is at about 75% and the last 25% is what made the book for them. I'm sorry but being in school and all the other 248415158414852165 books I have to read for review, and for fun just won't allow me to read a book that's not gonna get good until the last 25%. I have way too many other books to continue to read something I'm not enjoying. I didn't even care enough to flip to the end to read it. *shrugs* 0
     This book may be for others, but it was certainly not for me. As upsetting as it was for me, I'd still tell anyone intrigued to pick it up and give it a try! This may not have gelled with me, but it could easily be someone else's book of the year! 
Overall, I give this

DNF @ page 86


Labels: , ,