WoW: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas


This bookish meme tells the blogosphere what we're waiting patiently (and sometimes not so patiently) for! It's hosted by Jill over at Breaking the Spine!

The Hate U Give

     Inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement, Angie Thomas’s searing debut about an ordinary girl in extraordinary circumstances addresses issues of racism and police violence with intelligence, heart, and unflinching honesty. Soon to be a major motion picture from Fox 2000/Temple Hill Productions.
     Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed.
     Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil’s name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr.
     But what Starr does—or does not—say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life.

Expected Publication: February 28, 2017 [YAS BLACK HISTORY MONTH!]
Published by: Balzer + Bray

Why I'm Waiting: Is there a reason I shouldn't be waiting for this one? It sounds like one of the most realistic books I'll ever read and I'm sooooo ready for it. Even my husband (who doesn't even read cereal boxes) said this would be one of the only books I've ever brought home that he would pick up and read. I KNOW it's a sure winner now! Also, my kids at my volunteer place in my diverse reads group are DYINGGGGG for this one. They asked me approximately 900 times if I've requested it and if I have any more excerpts on it and I can't wait to be able to finally read it with them! My heart is so happy looking at the cover and just ugh I'm so happy Angie Thomas wrote this book! 

Labels: