Letters to the Lost by Brigid Kemmerer

Hardcover, 388 pages
Release Date: April 4, 2017
Published by: Bloomsbury USA Children's
Read from: April 20-April 28, 2017
Stand-alone
Source: Library 
For fans of: Contemporary,Romance, DEAR, Realistic Fiction, Stand-alones, tear-Jerkers, YA

     Juliet Young always writes letters to her mother, a world-traveling photojournalist. Even after her mother's death, she leaves letters at her grave. It's the only way Juliet can cope.
     Declan Murphy isn't the sort of guy you want to cross. In the midst of his court-ordered community service at the local cemetery, he's trying to escape the demons of his past.
     When Declan reads a haunting letter left beside a grave, he can't resist writing back. Soon, he's opening up to a perfect stranger, and their connection is immediate. But neither Declan nor Juliet knows that they're not actually strangers. When life at school interferes with their secret life of letters, sparks will fly as Juliet and Declan discover truths that might tear them apart.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I had never read anything by Brigid Kemmerer before, but I heard all of her work is action packed and really good. Since I had never read anything by her, I was a bit skeptical. But then the reviews for this started pouring in and everyone said it was so good! It was time for me to find out for myself.
"I once asked him how he can believe in a providential god when he barely survived living with [him]. He looked at me and said, 'Because I did survive.'"
pg. 28
     Juliet has lost her mother in a tragic accident. To cope, she leaves letters at her mother's grave. Declan is ordered by the court to do some community service, which he chooses to do at the cemetery. Soon the paths of the two cross, without them ever knowing that they did,
"Are you really so afraid to appear smart?"
pg. 75
     First things first, I LOVED the characters. I felt such a connection with them throughout the entire story. I was so invested that I found mysellf talking out loud to Declan and Rev, or giving advice to Juliet. I was really into their story and I was sucked into it every time I opened the book. I really felt like both points of view added so much to the story as well. It would have been so hard trying to explain either of their sides with only one person telling the story. With the alternate points of view we got to really meet both of them and that adds to the enjoyment of the story.
"You'll never know if you don't try."
pg. 88
     However, I was not a fan of how the events unfolded. It seemed like it was a tad bit long, but then at the end, it kind of felt rushed. Like it felt too long to her, but instead of taking out some of the scenes or just not caring, she skimped on the end. I just felt like after all that they had been through, they deserved more, you know?
"Guilt is not a competition. Or at least it shouldn't be."
pg. 108
     I am also really, REALLY glad we get to know Rev's story. He seems like such a brilliant teen and I really need to know his story. I'm terrified of his back story, but then again I really want to know it. I can't wait until we get it next!
"Why don't you give them something new to think about you?"
pg. 113
     Last but not least, I LOVED her writing style. I checked this book out from work, and I normally don't waste my flags on library books, but this one was too good not to. I wanted to write down almost every quote, so I just decided to use the flags. Her writing was so good it had me in tears on one page and then rooting for them in another.
"One day isn't your whole life..."
pg. 211
     This book was definitely a surprise. I loved her writing style and the characters, but the ending felt a little rushed to me. I can see myself going to find and read all of her backlist before the end of the summer!
Overall, I give this


Labels: , , , , ,