Bad Romance by Heather Demetrios

ARC, 354 pages
Release Date: June 13, 2017
Published by: Henry Holt & Co.
Read from: June 11-17, 2017
Stand-alone
Source: TxLA 2017
For fans of: Romance, Realistic Fiction, Contemporary, Dark, New Adult, Sparkly Covers, DEAR


     Grace wants out. Out of her house, where her stepfather wields fear like a weapon and her mother makes her scrub imaginary dirt off the floors. Out of her California town, too small to contain her big city dreams. Out of her life, and into the role of Parisian artist, New York director—anything but scared and alone.
     Enter Gavin: charming, talented, adored. Controlling. Dangerous. When Grace and Gavin fall in love, Grace is sure it's too good to be true. She has no idea their relationship will become a prison she's unable to escape.
     Deeply affecting and unflinchingly honest, this is a story about spiraling into darkness—and emerging into the light again.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I've been a fan of Demetrios' work ever since her very first novel. I've loved what's she's done ever since, and this one is no different. Although it's so much darker than her normal, it's still amazing!
"A stenciled quote covers the wall above the bed. I wish I'd paid more attention to it. Love is patient. Love is kind. [...]"
pg. 114
      Grace has an unbelievably hard life. At home, she deals with a giant of a stepfather and a mother who refuses to accept her demons. Then comes Gavin, the boy who she's always adored. When he finally notices her, she can't believe her luck. Until she realizes the idea of him was much better than the reality of him.
"I gave you my heart on a silber fucking platter and you ate it, piece by bloody piece."
pg. 124
     I started this book on my cruise and I was NOT expecting to finish it while on my cruise. It was just that good. As soon as I started it, I couldn't put it down. I hate this cliché (because no one should be that nosey and not get help) but it was like watching a train crash and not wanting to look away. It was such a terrible story, but Demetrios wrote it in a way that I couldn't put it down. I wanted to jump into the story and try to help Grace because I couldn't stand watching this happen to her.
"When you're a stupid girl in love, it's almost impossible to see the red flags. It's so easy to pretend they're not there, to pretend that everything is perfect."
pg. 177
     Speaking of Grace, I hated that I loved the main characters. It's just the way that Demetrios wrote them. Grace was too sweet and understanding and Gavin was such a perfect POS. Then there was her mom and her stepfather who I really disliked. They did nothing to help her situation. And then there was her best friends, Nat and Lys. They were amazingly sweet and understanding and I'm super glad Grace had them in her corner.
"For a little while, we are infinite."
pg. 203
     This has climbed to the top of my favorite books by Demetrios. The story was so realistic, but it was so hard to read. There were times when I had to close the book just to write a super long passage in my notebook about the story. It's such an important topic and I'm very glad that someone wrote about it. Few people like to admit that abuse can happen in teen relationships.
"[...] I'm  starting to realize that we all wear strange armor to get through the day. Mine is denial."
pg. 239
    And as always, Demetrios' writing style pulled me into the story and wouldn't let me go until I was finished. I loved how she used second person in some places, it made it stand out more because she seemed to be looking back on what happened. It gave me hope for the ending.
"Get your shit together because I swear to fucking God I will end us."
pg. 266
     This story is so important and needs to be read by everyone. This book solidified my love for Heather Demetrios and I can't wait to see what else she has up her sleeve.
Overall, I give this

Did you read this? What did you think of it?
What did you think of the topic?



Labels: , , , , , , ,