Listen Up: The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee


I don't normally talk about the audio books I listen to because most of them are backlist, but I really want to start! So, I'm starting Listen Up to write short reviews on the books that I listen to! 
Audio, 10.5 hours
Release Date: June 27, 2017
Published by: Katherine Tegen Books
Read from: July 31-August 4, 2017
Guide, #1
Source: Library (e-Audio through Overdrive) 
For fans of: Adventure, Romance, LGBTQIA+, Historical Fiction, LOL, YA 


     Henry “Monty” Montague was born and bred to be a gentleman, but he was never one to be tamed. The finest boarding schools in England and the constant disapproval of his father haven’t been able to curb any of his roguish passions—not for gambling halls, late nights spent with a bottle of spirits, or waking up in the arms of women or men.
     But as Monty embarks on his Grand Tour of Europe, his quest for a life filled with pleasure and vice is in danger of coming to an end. Not only does his father expect him to take over the family’s estate upon his return, but Monty is also nursing an impossible crush on his best friend and traveling companion, Percy.
     Still it isn’t in Monty’s nature to give up. Even with his younger sister, Felicity, in tow, he vows to make this yearlong escapade one last hedonistic hurrah and flirt with Percy from Paris to Rome. But when one of Monty’s reckless decisions turns their trip abroad into a harrowing manhunt that spans across Europe, it calls into question everything he knows, including his relationship with the boy he adores.

*MY THOUGHTS* 

      Being honest, I started this book on a different day in July. I had almost given up on it... But that was because it was historical fiction and I knew that me and books like that never really get along. So I almost gave up before I even got to chapter 10. But then I waited for the book to come out and I got the audio from my local library. And that changed my world.
     Percy is all set to travel Europe with his best friend (who he has had a crush on for a long time) and his sister. Percy's father surprises him with an uninvited guest because he thinks he needs to make sure Percy isn't tarnishing their name when Percy must come back to take over his family's estate. But things of course do not go as planned. 
     As someone who isn't a fan of historical fiction, I was excited about this, but I was also a bit weary. A friend had told me to give books I wouldn't normally read a try as an audio book, and this was the first one I tried. It definitely opened my eyes to another way to enjoy this genre. By listening to the audio, it feels less like reading and it helped me to enjoy it more. Granted, it may have also been this book's ABSOLUTELY AMAZING narrator too. I loved the accent he read with because it made me feel more like he was really Percy. 
     I also got really into thier adventures. They really had some fun together and that made this book. I remember sitting at my desk and laughing out loud with my headphones on becasue the naked part came up. They did so many crazy things, and I remember laughing the entire way.
     Although these types of books aren't normally my cup of tea, this book was really great! I can't believe I almost missed it by  just looking at what genre it was. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book and see all the hell that Felicity will bring! 
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,