America, Vol. 1: The Life and Times of America Chavez by Gabby Rivera (Writer), Joe Quinones (Illustrator)

Paperback, 136 pages
Release Date: October 31, 2017
Published by: Marvel
Read from: January 5-6, 2018
Volume 1
Source: Library
For fans of: Superheroes, Comics, Graphic Novels, YA

     At last! Everyone's favorite no-nonsense powerhouse, America Chavez, gets her own series! Critically acclaimed young-adult novelist Gabby Rivera and all-star artist Joe Quinones unite to shine a solo spotlight on America's high-octane and hard-hitting adventures! She was a Young Avenger. She leads the Ultimates. And now she officially claims her place as the preeminent butt-kicker of the entire Marvel Universe! But what's a super-powered teenager to do when she's looking for a little personal fulfi llment? She goes to college! America just has to stop an interdimensional monster or two first and shut down a pesky alien cult that's begun worshipping her exploits before work can begin. Then she can get on with her first assignment: a field trip to the front lines of World War II - with Captain America as her wingman!
     COLLECTING: AMERICA 1-6

*MY THOUGHTS*

     When I heard that America Chavez was getting her own graphic novel, I was stoked! An LGBTQ+ woman of color that can punch you into another portal?! YES please! Unfortunately it wasn't all that I thought it would be.... 
     The art in this is LEGIT. I remember reading through the story and then going back to look at the pictures about 3 times. The colors were so vibrant and they all had so much detail. It really brought the words to life. 
     The writing style was also pretty great. I don't normally write down quotes from graphic novels, but this time was different. I wrote so many down that I connected to. It was a nice change from what I'm used to when reading graphic novels.
     However, I was less than satisfied with the story. She was different from Young Avenegers America, and that's what I didn't too much care for. She seemed to change too much. It almost seemed like I missed something in her growing up? Idk. It would've been better to have an origin story for her in my opinion. 
     This wasn't my favorite story, but I can assure you the art and the pictures will convince you to keep reading. I can't wait to rad the next volume in the series! 
Overall, I give this


Labels: