Reign of the Fallen by Sarah Glenn Marsh

ARC, 370 pages
Release Date: January 23, 2018
Published by: Razorbill
Read from: January 12-14, 2018
Reign of the Fallen, #1
Source: #booksfortrade
For fans of:  LGBTQ+, Fantasy, Necromancy, Romance, YA

     Odessa is one of Karthia's master necromancers, catering to the kingdom's ruling Dead. Whenever a noble dies, it's Odessa's job to raise them by retrieving their souls from a dreamy and dangerous shadow world called the Deadlands. But there is a cost to being raised--the Dead must remain shrouded, or risk transforming into zombie-like monsters known as Shades. If even a hint of flesh is exposed, the grotesque transformation will begin.
    A dramatic uptick in Shade attacks raises suspicions and fears among Odessa's necromancer community. Soon a crushing loss of one of their own reveals a disturbing conspiracy: someone is intentionally creating Shades by tearing shrouds from the Dead--and training them to attack. Odessa is faced with a terrifying question: What if her necromancer's magic is the weapon that brings Karthia to its knees?

*MY THOUGHTS*

     First things first.... I have to admit I wanted to read this so bad because of the beautiful cover. But then I read the synopsis and found out what would be on the inside, I really wanted it. This book has been on my TBR for a while, so it's no surprise that I got to it as soon as I could.
"Progress,' the king always says when he gives his twiceyearly public address, 'is a slow-acting poidon that will ensure Karthia's eventual death.'"
pg. 9
     In this world, the Dead never really die if they choose not to. They are covered with a shroud to be raised by the Necromancer before they can become a monster that no one likes, a Shade. But suddenly, to say no one likes them, there is an abundance of Shades attacking Karthia. Odessa must find out what's happening and save Karthia before it's too late.
"Love is difficult to disguise."
pg. 126
    I really loved Odessa. I loved her kick ass attitude and how she was able to meet everything head on. She made it through some of the toughest times and I thought it made her into a stronger heroine. I also really loved the supporting characters and all they brought to the story. It made it into a better story because of them. Especially Meredy and her "pet." I loved them and I am already thinking about what animal I would use if I had that power. 
"Death be damned."
pg. 189
     What I didn't care for about this book was the plot. My goodness the very first chapter of this book had me hooked. And then nothing happened until the climax at the end. The middle was literally her getting over something. (You'll understand when you read it.) I do think that part of the book was needed, however I don't feel it needed that much time spent on it. I also thought the plot was entirely too predictable. I literally called every plot twist with the exception of one. Maybe it's just me, I read alot, so I know where I would put these twists, but I was hoping for something that would throw me for a loop. 
"Before I met you, it wasn't hard to be heartless."
pg. 272
   I also wasn't completely sold on the world-building. I wanted so much to know more about Karthia and the way they can see the Gates to the Deadlands and just... I needed more. I liked what she gave us, but there was no explanation of the different powers and just simple things like that. I wanted more. 
"Death is an ending, not a new beginning."
pg. 325
     As someone who's not really a fantasy reader, I'm glad I took a chance on this one. It had great characters, a great romance, and a great type of magic. Although I wanted more, I still feel it had a great story with a great heroine! 
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , ,