The Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang

Graphic Novel, 288 pages
Release Date: February 13, 2018
Published by: First Second
Read from: February 16, 2018
Stand-alone
Source: Library
For fans of:  Romance, Friendship, LGBTQIAP+, YA

     Paris, at the dawn of the modern age:
     Prince Sebastian is looking for a bride―or rather, his parents are looking for one for him. Sebastian is too busy hiding his secret life from everyone. At night he puts on daring dresses and takes Paris by storm as the fabulous Lady Crystallia―the hottest fashion icon in the world capital of fashion!
     Sebastian’s secret weapon (and best friend) is the brilliant dressmaker Frances―one of only two people who know the truth: sometimes this boy wears dresses. But Frances dreams of greatness, and being someone’s secret weapon means being a secret. Forever. How long can Frances defer her dreams to protect a friend? Jen Wang weaves an exuberantly romantic tale of identity, young love, art, and family. A fairy tale for any age, The Prince and the Dressmaker will steal your heart.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I'm still a bit new to graphic novels, but even I can recognize when something is past amazing. And this mt friends, is past amazing. From the writing, to the art, it was all amazing and because of it I have added all of Wang's work to my TBR.
     Prince Sebastian is looking for a bride. Unfortnuately, his heart is not in the pursuit. He's more interested in keeping a secret from his entire kingdom. At night he becomes the beautiful Lady Crystallia, the current fashion icon! The only person who knows his secret is his best friend, the dressmaker, Frances. But Frances has put her own dreams on hold to help keep his secret. How long can she put his dreams ahead of hers?
     I loved reading Sebastain's journey of identity. I loved how he was portrayed in both Wang's writing style and her art. In the art he seemed like a basic prince when he was being Prince Sebastain, but at night as Lady Crystallia, he comes alive. I imagine that's how he felt on the inside as well and Wang did a great job at portraying it.
    I also loved the family and friendship dynamic in this one. I don't want to be too spoilery, but it did not end up the way I expected it to.The friend and the family dynamic. It turned into so much more. I can honestly say I've never cried over a graphic novel before, but for this one and the amazing relationships portrayed, I definitely did.
     This graphic novel was so much more than I expected and I can see myself reading this a couple more times before sending it back to the library. Jen Wang is a new to me artist, but after my love for The Prince and the Dressmaker, I can assure you this will not be my last novel by her.
Overall, I give this



Labels: , , , , , , , , ,