Always Never Yours by Emily Wibberley & Austin Siegemund-Broka

Hardcover, 325 pages
Release Date: May 22, 2018
Published by:  Speak
Read from: N/A
Stand-alone
Source: Library
TW: N/A
For fans of:  Romance, Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, YA

     Megan Harper is the girl before. All her exes find their one true love right after dating her. It’s not a curse or anything, it’s just the way things are, and Megan refuses to waste time feeling sorry for herself. Instead, she focuses on pursuing her next fling, directing theatre, and fulfilling her dream school’s acting requirement in the smallest role possible.
     But her plans quickly crumble when she’s cast as none other than Juliet–yes, that Juliet–in her high school’s production. It’s a nightmare. No–a disaster. Megan’s not an actress and she’s certainly not a Juliet. Then she meets Owen Okita, an aspiring playwright who agrees to help Megan catch the eye of a sexy stagehand in exchange for help writing his new script.
     Between rehearsals and contending with her divided family, Megan begins to notice Owen–thoughtful, unconventional, and utterly unlike her exes, and wonders: shouldn’t a girl get to play the lead in her own love story?

*MY THOUGHTS*

   When I first saw the cover at TLA, I was smitten! I hadn't heard of this one, but they had one on display and I remembered I wanted it so bad because the cover was gorgeous. It looked like a nice, sweet contemp, which is my favorite kind. Unfortunately, that’s where the goodness ended for me.     
Megan can’t keep a boyfriend. And once she loses them, they go on to someone else. And that someone else always turns out to be the love of their life. So she’s become the school flirt. And it just so happens, in the midst of rehearsals for the school play, she decides to write her own love story.

     Although I was really excited about this one, unfortunately, I didn’t get very far. As a character driven reader, this one wasn’t great for me because I did not connect with the characters. They seemed like immature to me. And then I felt even more disconnected from them when I realized that there was some sort of weird love triangle thing happening. For example, Megan’s ex is now dating her best friend. Although that may not bother some people, it bothers me and I couldn’t do it. And it didn’t make it better that although they said it didn’t bother them, it still did. They lied to each other about the situation and it made me uncomfortable.

   This isn’t the way I wanted my review to end up, but unfortunately, this is what it came down to. Although this may not be for me, I’m sure someone else will love it. Someone read it and let me know if Owen ends up as the love interest and if he’s as swoony as he was weird lol



DNF @ pg. 75