The Storm Runner by J.C. Cervantes

ARC, 336 pages
Release Date: September 18, 2018
Published by: Rick Riordan Presents
Read from: September 8-12 ,2018
The Storm Runner, #1
Source: TxLA
TW: Animal Death... Kinda
For fans of: Middle Grade, Fantasy, Mythology (Mayan), Action, Adventure, Diversity (Physical), Sparkly Covers, Diverse Authors, Diverse Characters 

       Zane has always enjoyed exploring the dormant volcano near his home in New Mexico, even though hiking it is challenging. He'd much rather hang out there with his dog, Rosie, than go to middle school, where kids call him Sir Limps a Lot, McGimpster, or Uno—for his one good leg. What Zane doesn't know is that the volcano is a gateway to another world and he is at the center of a powerful prophecy. A new girl at school, Brooks, informs him that he's destined to release an evil god from the ancient Maya relic he is imprisoned in—unless she can find and remove it first. Together they return to the volcano, where all kinds of crazy happens. Brooks turns into a hawk, a demon attacks them in a cave, and Rosie gives her all while trying to protect Zane. When Zane decides to save his dog no matter the cost, he is thrust into an adventure full of surprising discoveries, dangerous secrets, and an all-out war between the gods, one of whom happens to be his father. To survive, Zane will have to become the Storm Runner. But how can he run when he can't even walk well without a cane?
     Feisty heroes, tricky gods, murderous demons, and spirited giants are just some of the pleasures that await in this fresh and funny take on Maya mythology, as rich and delicious as a mug of authentic hot chocolate.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     As a huge fan of the Percy Jackson series, I have been itching for another questy mythology book. Knowing that this was coming out, I decided to give this one a try. And oh my gods! This was so good! It scratched the itch and definitely left me satisfied.
"I'd rather face a hundred hateful eyes than two crying ones."
pg. 4
     The volcano outside Zane's house would scare most 13 year olds, but not Zane. He seems to be drawn to it. When he has to leave it to go back to school, he meets a girl named Brooks who has some very weird information about him. So weird he doesn't think he believes her. Until what she said comes to true. How can Zane survive all the Mayan myths he didn't want to believe ever happened?
"...reading about a shape-shifter is totally different from seeing one in person. Or in animal."
pg. 39
     As usual, with every other book about mythology I've read, my favorite part of this was learning the Mayan myths! And I loved it a bit more because these were myths that I hadn't heard before. I learned so much just from reading the book and then I went and ordered some books on Mayan mythology from the library because I was that invested. Cervantes made learning about these gods and goddesses fun and I can definitely see tweens, teens, and adults being sucked into the Maya culture just like I was.
"Myths are real, Zane."
pg. 48
     I also loved her storytelling. [SMALL SPOILER] It's supposed to be written as a letter, but it reads just as one is sitting down and listening to a story. [/SPOILER] It's such an easy read and I got sucked into each page. I even told my husband we had to take-out one night because I didn't want to stop reading long enough to cook anything. If you plan on reading this soon, clear your schedule.
"This chocolate is from a very good year. [...] Hints of vanilla, cherry, and a splash of burnt caramel. Go on, taste it."
pg. 235
     I also loved the diversity in this story. From his disability to his ethnicity, I LOVED seeing a hero that looked like Zane. And I mean hero in every sense of the word. This is the number one thing I am thankful to Rick Riordan Presents for. Giving heroes a face like Zane's is AMAZING and I can't wait to have so many more heroes that are different than the "norm."
"I was getting pretty sick of that word deal. It was only four stupid letters strung together, but they had thorns that knew how to draw blood."
pg. 307
     The only thing I didn't care for though (and I may be being nit-picky) is the fact that it followed literally EVERY mythological fantasy troupe there is. [SPOILER]From having magical friends, to the Death guy being the bad guy, to the god having to reveal themself as the parent, it seemed like everyone was in this book.[/SPOILER] It didn't bother me too much, but I did wish there was some shock value to it. And I wished that they had gotten to the quest a bit faster. It seemed like the beginning was a tad bit too long, but it was covered with creatures and fights, so it was ok to look over.
"Death has a way of infesting whatever it touches."
pg. 325
     This was SO. GOOD. I was expecting to like it, but not to where I had to take 15 minute breaks at work to read more of it because I didn't want to put it down. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to wait a whole year before the next one. I can't wait to see what Zane and friends do next! Bravo, Cervantes!
Overall, I give this


Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,