A Very Large Expanse of Sea by Tahereh Mafi

e-ARC, 447 pages
Release Date: October 16, 2018
Published by: HarperTeen
Read from: October 10-13,2018
Stand-Alone
Source: Edelweiss (I received a copy of this book from Edelweiss and the Publisher in exchange for a just and honest review. This did nothing to influence my review.) 
TW: Tackles Islamophobia, racism and xenophobia. If these things are harmful to read about for you, tread lightly.
For fans of: Diverse Characters, Realistic Fiction, Contemporary, Stand-alones, Tear-Jerkers, YA 

     It’s 2002, a year after 9/11. It’s an extremely turbulent time politically, but especially so for someone like Shirin, a sixteen-year-old Muslim girl who’s tired of being stereotyped.
     Shirin is never surprised by how horrible people can be. She’s tired of the rude stares, the degrading comments—even the physical violence—she endures as a result of her race, her religion, and the hijab she wears every day. So she’s built up protective walls and refuses to let anyone close enough to hurt her. Instead, she drowns her frustrations in music and spends her afternoons break-dancing with her brother.
    But then she meets Ocean James. He’s the first person in forever who really seems to want to get to know Shirin. It terrifies her—they seem to come from two irreconcilable worlds—and Shirin has had her guard up for so long that she’s not sure she’ll ever be able to let it down.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I was a little hesitant to read this because I've tried several times (and in several different ways) to read her fantasy series and I couldn't get through it. I always thought she had beautiful writing, but it was just too flowery for me to be in a fantasy novel. And that's exactly why it worked so well for me in a contemporary setting.
"...my life seemed suddenly to comprise such a jumble of bullshit every day that sometimes I could hardly move my lips. I worried that if I spoke or screamed my anger would grip both sides of my mouth and rip me in half."
2%
     Shirin is continuously stereotyped by strangers and her peers and is tired of having to defend herself and the fact that she chooses to wear her hijab. She pushes everyone away and drowns her unhappiness in break dancing. But then she meets Ocean, who actually seems to be interested in her. In more ways than she's used to. Will she let him in or will she treat him just as everyone treats her?
"I didn't understand how anyone could be so violently angry with me for something I hadn't done..."
4%
     Ok, so of course I have to talk about the writing style. I wasn't sure I wanted to read this at first, because I was not a fan of here debut series. Same reason I didn't read her MG series. The language was just much for me. But when I read contemps I seem to like the language best when it's over the top. And as it turns out, this time it really worked for me. I found myself sucked into the pages and not wanting to stop reading this beautiful, heartbreaking story. And I highlighted so much of it. At least half the first chapter and by then I was only 5% in!  I found myself reading this everywhere, as I got ready for work, as I was brushing my teeth, anywhere I could really. I don't remember a time I was that engrossed in a book.
"Your happiness is the one thing these assholes can't stand."
34%
   As for the characters, I had so many feelings for everyone in this book. (Some better than others lol) To a certain extent, I felt what Shirin was going through. I didn't fully understand her situation, but I know my own feelings when I go in a store and the police officer follows me around the entire store because I have my hood on to hide my swollen face after just getting my teeth pulled. I can also relate to being a woman of color and I felt so sad that all of these things were happening to her. And as a reader, I felt so helpless. Like I could do nothing to help her, when all I really wanted was to make the entire book pay. Another thing I loved about Shirin, was the fact that she went through so much growth. She acknowledged her own faults and knew that she needed to do better. It takes a very strong person to do that after the type of things she'd been through. As for Ocean, he was incredibly sweet and I was so happy that she found someone like him.They balanced each other out and I was happy that at some point Shirin got to be happy. Even if only for a brief time. Ocean has definitely earned a spot as one of my favorite characters ever.
"If maybe, just maybe, I'd been so determined not to be stereotyped that I'd begun to stereotype everyone around me. [...] I could no longer distinguish people from monsters."
34%
     As for the plot, I do wish there had been a better timeline. Things in this book were passing so quickly (although it could also have been because I was reading it so quickly) and at times it felt like it cut off right in the middle of a part where things could have developed more. The jumps just felt a little weird and unnatural at times.
"If the decision you've made has brought you closer to humanity, then you've done the right thing."
83%
   I know I've liked a book based on all the reactions I've had about it. I found myself having to write in a journal, get on Goodreads and talk it out with my husband. I was talking about this book everywhere whenever I wasn't reading it and I was stunned. It's been a long time since I've highlighted so many passages in a book. And I don't think I've ever cried so much in a contemporary romance while reading a book that wasn't about someone that was sick or dying. I cried real tears several times during this book because I just couldn't believe people could be so cruel. This book furthered my belief that I don't care for people lol
"...time was a fleeting, exhaustible thing. I didn't want to waste it."
93%
   I read that this book was based off some of the events that happened in Mafi's life and I applaud her for being so brave. Brave enough to share with the world some of her story. And also brave enough to crab walk and spin on her head to breakdance lol Because let's be honest, THAT IS SUPER DOPE. This book is so emotional and so amazing. It deserves more than 5 stars.
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , , , , ,