What if It's Us by Becky Albertalli & Adam Silvera

e-ARC, 448 pages
Release Date: October 9, 2018
Published by: HarperTeen
Read from: October 6-10, 2018
Stand-Alone
Source: Edelweiss (I received a copy of this book from Edelweiss and the Publisher in exchange for a just and honest review. This did nothing to influence my review.)    
TW: N/A
For fans of: Diverse Characters, LGBTQIAP+, Contemporary Romance, Meet Cutes, Own Voices, YA

     Arthur is only in New York for the summer, but if Broadway has taught him anything, it’s that the universe can deliver a showstopping romance when you least expect it.
     Ben thinks the universe needs to mind its business. If the universe had his back, he wouldn’t be on his way to the post office carrying a box of his ex-boyfriend’s things.
     But when Arthur and Ben meet-cute at the post office, what exactly does the universe have in store for them?
     Maybe nothing. After all, they get separated.
     Maybe everything. After all, they get reunited.
     But what if they can’t quite nail a first date . . . or a second first date . . . or a third?
     What if Arthur tries too hard to make it work . . . and Ben doesn’t try hard enough?
     What if life really isn’t like a Broadway play?
     But what if it is?

*MY THOUGHTS*

      I have been itching for a diverse rom-com for quite a while now, and while this wasn't diverse in the ways I wanted it to be, it certainly scratched the itch. For a while anyways. Two of my favorite authors have teamed together to bring such a wonderful tale of friendship and romance to the world.
"That's a big package." And... shit."
3%
     Arthur's only in New York for the summer, running errands for his mom's firm. Ben is in the post office hoping to get rid of his ex's old things. When they meet cute at the post office, things start rolling in a way that neither of them expected. 
"I'd trade my poor kingdom for a universe where single-suck heartbreak isn't a victory. But here we are."
6%
     I was obviously expecting to love this one because these are two of my favorite authors individually. (If you haven't already, read They Both Die at the End and Leah on the Offbeat, DO. IT. Those are my favorites.) I knew them teaming up together would turn out to be awesome! And the story of how they began writing the story is even more awesome. Which is really different for me. Normally when two authors write one book, I spend the whole book saying who wrote which part and how at some points they don't match. But in this case it worked. Ben and Arthur are so different and they gave me a new meaning to "opposites attract." With them being so different in some ways, it would have been so tough to get this same type of book with only one of these powerhouse authors.
"...everything that looks effortless requires too much effort."
26%
     As for the other characters, I loved Dylan lmao He was probably my favorite character out of the entire book. A close second was Arthur, but Dylan won my heart. Him and his perfect humorous brain and I just loved him. And then as for Arthur, he was my favorite because of his non-filter. Definitely something that I myself struggled with for quite a while. I loved seeing so much of myself in them! 
"I guess that's any relationship. You start with nothing and maybe end with everything."
32%
     The dating of this book is the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars. Later when Hamilton and Dear Evan Hansen aren't as popular, will the references and inside jokes about them still be funny? Maybe I just think this way because there are SO MANY Hamilton references and I've never been interested in that. (It's history which I am NOT a fan of lol Don't judge me.) The inside jokes and everything just felt lost on me and it worries me that other fans like me will feel the same. 
"I need a fairy godmother"
pg. 33%
     [SPOILER] Lastly, I knew that since Adam Silvera was involved in writing this book, things would NOT end the way I wanted them to lol Every one of his books I've either cried for DAYS about it or just had to read some other romance that ends in a better way. And this is no different. It's definitely a bittersweet ending and I'm still waiting on someone to write some fanfic or them to write a sequel. 
"I flop back onto my bed, and my whole body's buzzing. Heart, stomach, fingertips, all of it. My brain won't stop spinning. I feel like I'm living inside a love song."
55%
     I knew going into this one that I would love it and sure enough, I did. I really thought I was going to have this really great, really insightful review of this, but it kinda turned into some fangirling. I really liked this one and I can't wait for everyone to read this and fangirl on it too.
Overall, I give this