Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. Maas

Hardcover, 980 pages
Release Date: October 23, 2018
Published by: Bloomsbury YA
Read from: October 25-November 7,2018
Throne of Glass, #7
Source: Library
TW:  Death, War
For fans of: Fae, Romance, High Fantasy, Series Enders, Series, YA

     Years in the making, Sarah J. Maas’s #1 New York Times bestselling Throne of Glass series draws to an epic, unforgettable conclusion. Aelin Galathynius’s journey from slave to king’s assassin to the queen of a once-great kingdom reaches its heart-rending finale as war erupts across her world. . .
     Aelin has risked everything to save her people―but at a tremendous cost. Locked within an iron coffin by the Queen of the Fae, Aelin must draw upon her fiery will as she endures months of torture. Aware that yielding to Maeve will doom those she loves keeps her from breaking, though her resolve begins to unravel with each passing day…
     With Aelin captured, Aedion and Lysandra remain the last line of defense to protect Terrasen from utter destruction. Yet they soon realize that the many allies they’ve gathered to battle Erawan’s hordes might not be enough to save them. Scattered across the continent and racing against time, Chaol, Manon, and Dorian are forced to forge their own paths to meet their fates. Hanging in the balance is any hope of salvation―and a better world.
      And across the sea, his companions unwavering beside him, Rowan hunts to find his captured wife and queen―before she is lost to him forever.
     As the threads of fate weave together at last, all must fight, if they are to have a chance at a future. Some bonds will grow even deeper, while others will be severed forever in the explosive final chapter of the Throne of Glass series.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I was hoping for a good conclusion to this series and let me tell you, Maas delivered. Although there were some issues, this book was worth all the time I spent waiting on it and reading it. I can't wait to see what Maas comes up with next. 
     Aelin has risked everything in order to save her kingdom, but those sacrifices haven't eased anything from her. Including her freedom. After being captured, she is being tortured by Maeve and her cohorts. It Rowan and the rest of Aelin's court is desperate to get back to her. As they work together to get their Queen back, the war to end all wars is brewing. There will be bloodshed. And lots of it. 
     My number one complaint about this was the length. Good Lord I felt like I was reading this forever. I even found myself having to take breaks because I kept getting overwhelmed, like the continuous reading I was doing wasn't getting me anywhere. For the most part, I really feel like it could have been cut down a considerable amount. The first 300 pages suffered because she tried drawing it out. (I say 300 because I didn't write my first update until 253...) I felt bored and didn't really see much of anything happening.
     And once things did start happening, I was a bit disappointed in the ending. The ENTIRE BOOK is about this huge war that's brewing and then the main climax is about 30 pages. THIS BOOK IS 980 PAGES. I just didn't care for how it kept having this huge build up and then the ending was over in the blink of an eye. 
     However, I did love being back with the gang again. It was such a joyous occasion to be with them all one final time. I won't go more into this because I don't want to spoil anyone, but I will say this, I was impressed with everyone's story arcs. Not just in this book, but the entire series. I loved seeing them grow together and seeing how each book in this series could tie back in to this one. It was really fun to be able to put together all the little threads that fit together from this entire series.
     This wasn't the 10 star read I was expecting, but I those that loved this series from the beginning, I can see how they would fall for this one. Looking back at the series as a whole, I loved getting to know these characters and I can't wait to see what amazing things Maas does next. You can be sure I will be adding it to my TBR! 
Overall, I give this
Real rating 3.5 but I rounded up! 

*There will be no quotes to avoid spoilers*

Labels: , , , , , ,