Glimmer of Hope: How Tragedy Sparked a Movement by The Founders of March for Our Lives

e-Audio, 464 pages
Release Date: October 16, 2018
Published by: Razorbill
Read from: December 30, 2018 - January 1, 2019
Stand-alone
Source: Library
TW: 
For fans of: Non-fiction, Memoirs

     The official, definitive book from The March for Our Lives founders about the tragedy at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on February 14, the March for Our Lives, and the ongoing fight for sensible gun control legislation in the United States.
     GLIMMER OF HOPE: HOW TRAGEDY SPARKED A MOVEMENT chronicles in first person essays the events of February 14th and the creation of the March for our Lives from the founders of the movement, including Emma González, Cameron Kasky, Jaclyn Corin, and more. The book also features oral histories of both the first day back to school following the shooting and the March for Our Lives, one of the largest marches in America’s history.
     On February 14th, 2018, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida was the site of one of the worst mass shootings in American history, in which 17 students and teachers were killed and 17 more were injured. Instead of dwelling on the pain and tragedy of that fateful day, a group of inspiring students from MSD channeled their feelings of hurt, rage, and sorrow into action, and went on to create one of the largest youth-led movements in global history.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I don't read much non-fiction or memoirs, but this was something I've been wanting to read for a long time. This book is troubling and encouraging all at the same time. Hopefully these stories that these teens have shared will spark something more in adults. 
     I wasn't surprised that this was hard to read. At some points I had to take breaks because I was so upset about what happened and their recounts of certain moments. That's why it took a while for me to listen to this. I should've been able to listen to it straight through. This is what made the book though. Because anything about this topic shouldn't be easy to listen to. No matter what side your own. Hopefully this means that more people will listen to what they've said and make necessary changes. 
     I also loved seeing how this movement came about. This was an awesome story of how they turned their tragedy into triumph. Their movement and the teens are so inspiring. For them to start this right after that horrific day, is.... I can't even describe it. Inspiring seems so inadequate. 
     However, my favorite part of the book was the policy recommendations. They were common sense and they gave solutions. They didn't just make noise about the problem. These teens came with solutions. Gives me hope that someone that reads this will be listening. I'm sure I didn't do this justice, but if you can't tell, I loved it. 
Overall, I give this

Labels: , ,