The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy by Mackenzi Lee

Audio, 9 CDs
Release Date: October 20, 2018
Published by: Katherine Tegen Books
Read from: February 5-February 7, 2019
Montague Siblings, #2
Source: Edelweiss (I received a copy of this book from the Publisher and Edelweiss in exchange for a just and honest review. This did nothing to influence my review.) 
TW: N/A
For fans of: Historical Fiction, Feminism, Diversity, YA

     In this highly anticipated sequel to the New York Times bestselling The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue, Felicity Montague must use all her womanly wits and wiles to achieve her dreams of becoming a doctor—even if she has to scheme her way across Europe to do it. A must-have for fans of Mackenzi Lee’s extraordinary and Stonewall Honor-winning novel.
     A year after an accidentally whirlwind grand tour with her brother Monty, Felicity Montague has returned to England with two goals in mind—avoid the marriage proposal of a lovestruck suitor from Edinburgh and enroll in medical school. However, her intellect and passion will never be enough in the eyes of the administrators, who see men as the sole guardians of science.
      But then a window of opportunity opens—a doctor she idolizes is marrying an old  friend of hers in Germany. Felicity believes if she could meet this man he could change her future, but she has no money of her own to make the trip. Luckily, a mysterious young woman is willing to pay Felicity’s way, so long as she’s allowed to travel with Felicity disguised as her maid.
     In spite of her suspicions, Felicity agrees, but once the girl’s true motives are revealed, Felicity becomes part of a perilous quest that leads them from the German countryside to the promenades of Zurich to secrets lurking beneath the Atlantic.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     The number one thing I remembered about The Gentleman's Guide is how absolutely hilarious Monty was. And I remembered Felicity being sassy and hoped we'd get a peek into her head at some point. Imagine my surprise when Lee announced that we were going to get an entire book about Felicity! I knew it would be something I enjoyed. 
     For the most part, I did like this one, but there were some things I didn't care for. And the number one thing was the plot. I didn't feel like there ever really was one. The entire book was about finding one man and then something wild and crazy tacked on at the end. If it wasn't as funny as it was, I probably would have DNF'ed it. I almost did anyways, hence the reason I waited until I could listen to the audio version. 
     As for the characters, I STILL loved them! From Monty, to Percy, to Joanna, to even Max! They each brought something different to the story and I really enjoyed reading about them. My favorite character was still Monty even if it wasn't his book lol I think he will be one of my favorite characters of all times. I also really liked Felicity and the way Lee portrayed her asexuality, even though during this time period there was no term for it.It was a great part of Felicity that I think readers need to see.
     The other thing I didn't care for was the ending. For this to be Felicity's book, I didn't feel like it should have been on "this person" to save them. Felicity should have been able to be the person of saving herself and her team. Add on to the fact that it felt tacked on and outta place. It just didn't work for me. 
     This book was not what I was expecting, but I still liked it anyways. No matter what, Lee's humor will ALWAYS gets me to pick up her books. And even though this one had a few faults, this one is just as entertaining as the first! I hope you all pick this up and meet Felicity!

Overall, I give this
There will be no quotes because I read this via audio! 


Labels: , , ,