The Cold is in Her Bones by Peternelle van Arsdale

e-Audio, 7 hours 47 minutes
Release Date: January 22, 2019
Published by: Simon Schuster Audio
Read from: February 28-March 3, 2019
Stand-alone
Source: Library
TW: Snakes, Death
For fans of: Re-tellings, Fantasy, YA

     Milla knows two things to be true: Demons are real, and fear will keep her safe.
     Milla’s whole world is her family’s farm. She is never allowed to travel to the village and her only friend is her beloved older brother, Niklas. When a bright-eyed girl named Iris comes to stay, Milla hopes her loneliness might finally be coming to an end. But Iris has a secret she’s forbidden to share: The village is cursed by a demon who possesses girls at random, and the townspeople live in terror of who it will come for next.
     Now, it seems, the demon has come for Iris. When Iris is captured and imprisoned with other possessed girls, Milla leaves home to rescue her and break the curse forever. Her only company on the journey is a terrible new secret of her own: Milla is changing, too, and may soon be a demon herself.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I want to start this review with a confession. I waited to read this one because I DNF'ed the author's first book. But I decided if there's an audio and I can get through it, maybe I should try it. And once again this year I was glad I didn't let an author's past book get in the way of its current book.
     Normally in the second paragraph of my review I do a small synopsis of the book for those that don't like to read them.... But this time I wanted to refrain because there isn't much to the book. It literally starts with a curse, goes through all the girls in the book, and then they it was just over. There's a witch along the way and a curse, but it just seemed like nothing really happened. I thought it was because I had read it so quickly, but I don't think that's it. It just seemed that there was no plot line.
     As for the re-telling, this story was said to be inspired by the legend of Medusa which is why I was so interested in reading this. I loved seeing the elements in the story, the snakes in her hair, the cures, everything. It was so interesting to see how everything would be incorporated into the story. 
     The audio itself was actually really good. I've only been listening to audios for about a year, so I don't know many narrators, but I do have some that I try to keep up with. Candance Thaxton has now made her way onto this list. 
     The only thing other than the narrator that kept me going was the writing style. Although there wasn't much of a plot, the writing style was good. It was written as though there was going to be some epic showdown at the end that kept me hanging me on. But there was no much I was interested in, I wanted to see it through. But it never actually went anywhere and that was upsetting.
     This book was weird, but I like weird. I wish it had been less weird and paid more attention to furthering the plot, but I digress. I can't say that I will be running to the author's next book, but I can say that I will at least give it a shot now.
Overall, I give this


Labels: , , ,