Lovely War by Julie Berry

Hardcover, 480 pages           
Release Date: March 5, 2019
Published by: Viking Books for Young Readers
Read from: March 26-31, 2019
Stand-alone
Source: Library
TW: Racial Slurs, Racial Discrimination
For fans of: Historical Fiction, Romance, Fantasy, YA

     A sweeping, multi-layered romance with a divine twist, by the Printz Honor-winning author of The Passion of Dolssa, set in the perilous days of World Wars I and II.
     It's 1917, and World War I is at its zenith when Hazel and James first catch sight of each other at a London party. She's a shy and talented pianist; he's a newly minted soldier with dreams of becoming an architect. When they fall in love, it's immediate and deep—and cut short when James is shipped off to the killing fields.
     Aubrey Edwards is also headed toward the trenches. A gifted musician who's played Carnegie Hall, he's a member of the 15th New York Infantry, an all-African-American regiment being sent to Europe to help end the Great War. Love is the last thing on his mind. But that's before he meets Colette Fournier, a Belgian chanteuse who's already survived unspeakable tragedy at the hands of the Germans.
     Thirty years after these four lovers' fates collide, the Greek goddess Aphrodite tells their stories to her husband, Hephaestus, and her lover, Ares, in a luxe Manhattan hotel room at the height of World War II. She seeks to answer the age-old question: Why are Love and War eternally drawn to one another? But her quest for a conclusion that will satisfy her jealous husband uncovers a multi-threaded tale of prejudice, trauma, and music and reveals that War is no match for the power of Love.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     This review almost didn't happen. I'm not a huge fan of historical fiction, but this one paired with the promise of Greek gods and goddesses and that wonderful cover... I had to at least give it a try. I see I should start reading synopsis more in depth tho......
"...you don't accept a challenge to duel with the god of War."
pg. 9
     Aphrodite and Ares have been sneaking around her husband Hephaestus' back. He's caught on and decided to trap them and give Aphrodite a chance to explain. She attempts to tell him why Love and War are so drawn together by telling the tale of four lovers and the way their stories intertwine during World War I. 
"Aubrey wonders if he'll die in his country before he ever gets the chance to die for his country."
pg. 67
     The main thing that drew me to this was the way the Greek gods and goddesses were involved. I LOVED that they were incorporated and all had a part in telling the story of the young lovers. This was such an interesting concept and that I have never read before. I thought it was a great idea and even though I'm not a fan of historical fiction, I went ahead with reading it anyways. 
"[She slid down to the floor and wept.] Joy can do that. It can hurt as much as pain."
pg. 398
     I didn't care for the way there was SO MUCH EXTRA. I don't feel like this book had to be this long. I think had it only told the story of James and Hazel it would have been just as effective. I didn't care to read about Aubrey and Colette (because African Americans in historical fiction bring racial slurs and discrimination) and found myself skimming over their chapters. (Whether they were based on someone in real life or not.) It just turned out to be really wordy and it didn't have to be. 
"Grief is not a contest. [...] What happened was horrible. No one should face it. Especially not from their own countrymen. It's a crime against humanity. Against decency and reason." "Sometimes it feels like America's short on all that."
pg. 401
     I also liked that there were some events that I didn't know about in this book. Like the Houston Riot in 1917. I live in Houston (now) and this isn't something we learn about in Texas history. So although I wasn't a fan of the romantic side of racism in this, I was glad these stories got to be told.  Had I not read this book I don't think I would have known about James Reese Europe or the Houston Riot.There may be stories about them, but not in YA novels that I've found. It's difficult for me to think that I may never have known about it.
"I ency your mortals."  One of her eyebrows rises. "As Ares says, they die, you know." The god of fire nods. "They do. But the lucky ones live first."
pg. 406
     This book was difficult for me to rate. I enjoyed it, but I also was not a fan of some things. I skimmed it, but I read the most important parts and got the most out of it (for me) that I could. Some things worked and others didn't and for me that's ok. I can't say I'll run to everything else by the author, but I can say I didn't hate this one.I still don't know if I said everything I wanted to say and correctly at that, but for the most part, I got some words out. 
  Overall, I give this

Real rating 2.5

Labels: , , ,