Sheets by Brenna Thummler

Paperback, 239 pages           
Release Date: August 28, 2018
Published by: Lion Forge, LLC 
Read from: August 28, 2018
Stand-alone
Source: Library 
TW: Death of a parent
For fans of: Paranormal, Graphic Novels

     Marjorie Glatt feels like a ghost. A practical thirteen year old in charge of the family laundry business, her daily routine features unforgiving customers, unbearable P.E. classes, and the fastidious Mr. Saubertuck who is committed to destroying everything she’s worked for.
     Wendell is a ghost. A boy who lost his life much too young, his daily routine features ineffective death therapy, a sheet-dependent identity, and a dangerous need to seek purpose in the forbidden human world
     When their worlds collide, Marjorie is confronted by unexplainable disasters as Wendell transforms Glatt’s Laundry into his midnight playground, appearing as a mere sheet during the day. While Wendell attempts to create a new afterlife for himself, he unknowingly sabotages the life that Marjorie is struggling to maintain.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I requested that my library buy this when I first heard about it a long time ago. It took FOREVER for us to get some copies, but I'm so glad I requested it! I really enjoyed this one and I hope others will check this one out as well. 
     Wendell is a ghost. He does not like his life in the ghost world so he decides to just go. Marjorie has taken over her mother's laundry business after her death. When something bring Marjorie and Wendell together, they find that in order for things to go right, they have to work together. 
     The number one thing I loved about this was the art. The colors worked so well together and they were BEAUTIFUL! And just the sketches themselves were beautiful. I think the little ghost was my favorite part. Wendell was super cute and even though I was frustrated with him for a large portion of the book, I still found that he could be ok lol
     As for the characters, like I said Wendell had his moments. But I really loved Marjorie. She was just trying to make it and help her family make it. She was really just doing the best she could. I felt for her so much. Especially the situation with her dad. Death for anyone is hard, so her as a child, running a business, and being a stand-in parent for her sibling, going to school, being bullied, AND mourning in her own way was sad. I loved watching her tangle with the God awful person as well as juggling all these other things. She was super strong and here I am 30 wishing I could be as strong as her.
     The only thing I didn't care for about this one was the plot. There were times where I thought it was dragging and there were times in the middle that felt a bit repetitive. It was like the art was different but the words were the same. And then at the end I didn't care for the way it ended. I was hoping the person she asked about made an appearance, but they didn't. Hopefully there's another one and they bring them back then.
     This was so much more than I was expecting. I don't normally read MG or graphic novels, but this one was a good choice. I hope someone else will pick up this one because of me and hopefully we can convince Thummler to give us more Marjorie and Wendell action!
Overall, I give this

Labels: , ,