The Devouring Gray by Christine Lynn Herman

e-Audio, 10:02:41
Narrated by: Sarah Beth Goer
Release Date: April 2, 2019
Published by: Dreamscape Media, LLC. 
Read from: April 18-24, 2019
The Devouring Gray, #1
Source: Library (Overdrive/ Libby)  
TW: Death
For fans of: Series Starter, Series, Paranormal, YA

     On the edge of town a beast haunts the woods, trapped in the Gray, its bonds loosening…
     Uprooted from the city, Violet Saunders doesn’t have much hope of fitting in at her new school in Four Paths, a town almost buried in the woodlands of rural New York. The fact that she’s descended from one of the town’s founders doesn’t help much, either—her new neighbors treat her with distant respect, and something very like fear. When she meets Justin, May, Isaac, and Harper, all children of founder families, and sees the otherworldly destruction they can wreak, she starts to wonder if the townsfolk are right to be afraid.
     When bodies start to appear in the woods, the locals become downright hostile. Can the teenagers solve the mystery of Four Paths, and their own part in it, before another calamity strikes? 

*MY THOUGHTS* 

     After so many people were talking about this book I just KNEW I needed to get my hands on it. Unfortunately, I didn't love it as so many others did. It had so much potential, but in the end it just didn't work for me.
     There is a Beast that lives inside the Gray that lives just outside a NY town. In Four Paths the Founders can see that this Beast is wreaking havoc on the town's lives and they must do what they can to stop it.
     I had such high hopes for this one. I haven't read a paranormal book in a long time and I really wanted to like it. However, that ended up being the only thing I liked about this book. The creepy factor was the only thing that kept me listening. And it really didn't get that weird until the middle anyways.
     As for the world-building, there was little to none. I felt like I was missing some huge prequel that included the story about the original founders. It's not told until the middle of the story when all the things are already happening. I spent the beginning of the story very confused. And to make it worse, I was listening to it while I was driving and I found I had to go back and rewind it to re-listen. And that got old fast. I just wish there had been a better explanation. I would love to have a prequel of the original founders and how they got their powers to begin with and what happened to them when they realized they had it.
     I also liked the characters. They were all different and they all had their own powers. It was good to watch them grow and figure out what they had to do to get through all of that was happening. I'm excited to see what they do in the next installment.
     As for the narration, I liked that the audio used actual music for the song and I thought that was cool. Definitely wouldn't have gotten that experience if I read it myself. I like little surprises like that when I'm not expecting it.
     Although this one didn't really work for me, I still am interested in seeing how they do in the next installment of the series. If nothing else, I want to see what happens with the one that did the thing at the end and what will happen with them now.
Overall, I give this
Real rating 2.5 but I rounded up

Labels: , , , , , ,