White Rose by Kip Wilson

ARC, 343 pages           
Release Date: April 2, 2019
Published by: Versify
Read from: April 7-8, 2019
Stand-alone
Source: NCTE 2018 
TW: Religious Discrimination
For fans of: Historical Fiction, Verse, YA

     A gorgeous and timely novel based on the incredible story of Sophie Scholl, a young German college student who challenged the Nazi regime during World War II as part of The White Rose, a non-violent resistance group.
     Disillusioned by the propaganda of Nazi Germany, Sophie Scholl, her brother, and his fellow soldiers formed the White Rose, a group that wrote and distributed anonymous letters criticizing the Nazi regime and calling for action from their fellow German citizens. The following year, Sophie and her brother were arrested for treason and interrogated for information about their collaborators.

*MY THOUGHTS*

     I'm on a roll with historical fiction this year! I think the total amount I've read this year is more than the last two years combined! And I've actually liked them! Including this one! 
     Sophie Scholl is a German college student who challenged wht Nazi regime during World War II with a non-violent resistance group, White Rose. They wrote anada distributed letters telling everyone what was wrong with their regime and trying to get them to rise against them. They were unfortunately caught and convicted of treason. 
     This book came out just in time. Right on the tail-ending of International Women's History Month and the beginning of National Poetry Month.It gives a better chance for this book and Sophie Scholl to be talked about and discovered. I picked up this book on a whim (after we had lost power and I wanted to save my battery in my Nook) and I hate to be cliche, but I'm so glad I did. I did not know who she was and now because of this book I did my own research and found out more about this extraordinary woman and her family. Definitely a verse novel I plan to recommend to the teens. 
     But even still, most times when I finish a book I feel satisfied. That's exactly why I couldn't give this one 5 stars. I felt like I didn't get enough of her story and didn't find out more about her. I flew through the book but still had to go and read more about her because I still didn't know enough. It could just be me, so I only took off one star. 
     It's rare that I read a historical fiction novel (even moreso one in verse) and actually like it. But when I find one I do like, its hard to let go of. I find that I get distracted easily when I'm reading novels in verse. I don't get trapped in the story like I do when I'm reading prose. HOWEVER, this one was different. I even found myself in tears at the very end. Maybe its because by then I knew it was based on a real person, Idk, but for whatever reason this one hooked me and didn't let me go. I even found that een when I could read something else, I still didn't. I was hooked and I had to finish this one before moving on to something else. 
     This book wasn't even on my TBR but it still found its way there. I'm glad I was able to fit it in. There is so much that I have yet to learn. This wasn't an easy read by any means, but it most definitely a necessary one. This strong woman deserves to be talked about.
Overall, I give this


Labels: , ,