Call it What You Want by Brigid Kemmerer

ARC, 369 pages           
Release Date: June 25, 2019
Published by: Bloomsbury YA
Read from: June 21-25, 2019
Stand-alone
Source: Publisher (I received a copy of this book from the Publisher in exchange for a just and honest review. This did nothing to influence my review.) 
TW: Attempted suicide, Student/Teacher Romance, Abortion Discussion
For fans of: Contemporary, Romance, Realistic Fiction, Tough Issues YA

     When his dad is caught embezzling funds from half the town, Rob goes from popular lacrosse player to social pariah. Even worse, his father’s failed suicide attempt leaves Rob and his mother responsible for his care.
     Everyone thinks of Maegan as a typical overachiever, but she has a secret of her own after the pressure got to her last year. And when her sister comes home from college pregnant, keeping it from her parents might be more than she can handle.
     When Rob and Maegan are paired together for a calculus project, they’re both reluctant to let anyone through the walls they’ve built. But when Maegan learns of Rob’s plan to fix the damage caused by his father, it could ruin more than their fragile new friendship...
     This captivating, heartfelt novel asks the question: Is it okay to do something wrong for the right reasons?

*MY THOUGHTS*

     Brigid Kemmerer is quickly becoming one of those authors where I know it doesn't matter which book I read by her, I know I'll enjoy it. This one was definitely more intense than the others I've read by her, but still so, so good. 
"You're not the only one who can screw up, okay?"
pg. 38
     Both Maegan and Rob feel like outcasts. Nothing really been easy for them lately due to various things. But once they are paired together for a school project, they hang on to the only things that can keep them afloat: each other. Being friends make them question whether they should try to right some wrongs by doing even more wrongs... 
"Suddenly, I wish I had another 30 minutes of running in me. I wish I could keep running forever. Away from here."
pg. 62
     Usually when I go through all different emotions when reading it means I love them. The same is also true for this one. At times it did get a little too intense for my taste at some points, like to where I had to set the book down before continuing. Pair that with someone who already has anxiety, it kind of took a toll on my nerves, but I was able to finish it. I know this seems weird for me since I usually love books that are about tough stuff, but there was just too much tough stuff going on in this one. 
"People love finding the weak link that makes them feel superior."
pg. 123
     As for the romance, I really enjoyed it. I'm not a huge fan of books that have a slow burn and then don't let them be together in the book at all. I'm also not a fan of insta-love. I like a healthy balance of a slow burn and seeing them actually BE together. It may sound confusing, but sometimes authors get it right. And in this one, Kemmerer did. (Yeah, yeah they were supposed to be friends, but if you believe that, then... yeah...) 
"I don't carry a grudge, but I have a functioning memory."
pg. 132
     I really liked the characters too. I know they would have hated it, but I felt so sorry for them. I wanted so badly to reach into the book and let them know that they were going to be ok. And as for the person who ended up being there for Rob, I loved that it was them. I won't say who for fear of spoilers, but let's just say, we do indeed have super powers. 
"You don't have to handle it by yourself, either."
pg. 227
     As for the plot, it moved so quickly. I can honestly say I spent most of this book with my heart racing hoping that nothing happened. At some points I remember hoping for a lull, but I spent most of this book on edge. It was a phenomenal book, but it was just too much sometimes. 
"I'm not lost. I want to do the right thing." "Most of us do," [...] "The problem is that it doesn't always look the same for all of us."
pg. 
     This book had everything I normally love in a contemp, but at some times it felt like too much. This book is really intense, but definitely something that all contemporary romance fans will want to read. If this is you, don't miss out!
Overall, I give this


Labels: