These Witches Don't Burn by Isabel Sterling

e-Audio,  09:48:00
Narrated by: Kristen DiMercurio 
Release Date:  May 28, 2019
Published by:  Penguin Random House Audio Publishing Group
Read from: July 19-20, 2019
These Witches Don't Burn, #1
Source: Library (Overdrive/ Libby)  
TW: N/A
For fans of: Witches, Paranormal, LGBTQIAP+, Romance, Bombshell Endings, YA

     Hannah's a witch, but not the kind you're thinking of. She's the real deal, an Elemental with the power to control fire, earth, water, and air. But even though she lives in Salem, Massachusetts, her magic is a secret she has to keep to herself. If she's ever caught using it in front of a Reg (read: non-witch), she could lose it. For good. So, Hannah spends most of her time avoiding her ex-girlfriend (and fellow Elemental Witch) Veronica, hanging out with her best friend, and working at the Fly by Night Cauldron selling candles and crystals to tourists, goths, and local Wiccans.
       But dealing with her ex is the least of Hannah's concerns when a terrifying blood ritual interrupts the end-of-school-year bonfire. Evidence of dark magic begins to appear all over Salem, and Hannah's sure it's the work of a deadly Blood Witch. The issue is, her coven is less than convinced, forcing Hannah to team up with the last person she wants to see: Veronica.
      While the pair attempt to smoke out the Blood Witch at a house party, Hannah meets Morgan, a cute new ballerina in town. But trying to date amid a supernatural crisis is easier said than done, and Hannah will have to test the limits of her power if she's going to save her coven and get the girl, especially when the attacks on Salem's witches become deadlier by the day.

*MY THOUGHTS*

      Not gonna lie, when I saw this I wasn't too keen on wanting to read it. I'm usually not a fan of books with witches, but when I heard this one was set in Salem.... Well, that's all I really needed to see. It isn't set during the Salem Witches Trials, but it was still enough for me to want to get my hands on it. 
     Hannah and her families are witches. They try to live normal lives without drawing the attention of any Regs. But suddenly, the monotony of Hannah's life changes when there's evidence of foul play at a bonfire. But then things get even more crazy when there's a fire during a house party and so many other unfortunate instances. How can she keep her coven and her Reg friends safe?
     Like I said, I wasn't sure I would like this because I am not a huge fan of witches. But this one was pretty cool. I liked the Elemental magic is showed and the way it all worked. And I loved that it was hereditary and wasn't something that they just told the main character she could do when she woke up one day. (No disrespect to Undead Girl Gang because I actually loved that one, but this way makes it more real to me?) 
    What I didn't care for was the characters. Hannah was good, but she was so stubborn, she didn't want to listen to anyone. And then there was Veronica.... Man she was a piece of work. As for the best friend and the new crush, they were the ones I liked most. Everyone had an important part in this story and I truly appreciated that.
     What I didn't care for was the writing style. I liked the mystery aspect. I caught one part of it, but the other I remember saying "WHAT" out loud when it was revealed. But what I didn't like was the way I felt like I had missed an entire prologue where something huge happened. It gets explained in the story, but by then I had already felt lost. I wish the explanation that was in the book had actually been a prologue. 
     For the most part I liked this one and was very surprised at how much I liked it. This wasn't something I would just pull off the shelf, but when I heard it was f/f and set in Salem and was about witches, I was tearing it off my shelves.
Overall, I give this

Labels: , , , , , , , ,