TTT: Books I Enjoyed that are Outside My Comfort Zone!

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish and is now run by Jana at That Artsy Reader GirlEach week she will post a new Top Ten list . Everyone is welcome to join. 

This week's topic is:
Top 10 Books I Enjoyed that are Outside My Comfort Zone!

Gods of Jade and ShadowDaisy Jones & The Six

1. Gods of Jade and Shadow by Silvia Moreno-Garcia: I really liked this one with the Mayan gods. It got a bit muddy in the middle, but it was still good. Although I like mythology, I'm not normally an adult fantasy kind of person, but I did like this one. 

2. Daisy Jones & the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid: Another one where I liked it, but didn't really care for fully because of one thing: the drugs. If you know me, you know I have a family member who did drugs years ago. They've been clean for a long time, but even now I can't read anything that talks about drugs, overdoses, almost over dosing, or teens doing drugs. This book is FILLED to the brim with it, so this was hard, but I still liked it. 

The Library BookLovely War

3. The Library Book by Susan Orlean: Another adult book I really liked. This is the pick for the Gulf Coast Reads selection this year and it's non-fiction. Definitely not something I would normally like, but I think because it's a book about books or a book featuring libraries that I liked it lol 

4. Lovely War by Julie Berry: Historical fiction is not my thing, but this one was kinda ok for me. Julie Berry is great with prose, but she put in so much extra. And I can't lie, I skimmed alot of it, but only the parts that didn't matter. I got this gist of it and still liked what I did read. 

In the Neighborhood of TrueWhere the Crawdads Sing

5. In the Neighborhood of True by Susan Kaplan Carlton: Another historical fiction book that I normally wouldn't have liked, but still liked anyways because I learned something. 

6. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens: I liked this because of the mystery aspect, not the historical fiction aspect. It wasn't something I would read just because I wanted to, but I did it because I had to know why everyone was trying to read this book. And I did it at the right time, because man we still have over 500 holds on this in my library system!

A Spark of LightDry

7. A Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult: This is the normal genre I like, but for the most part, I don't think I would have normally read this because of the subject matter. I am a HUGE pro-choice advocate and this worked on me in so many ways. I found myself arguing with the book and I'm almost positive that's not healthy. Another reason I don't think I'll be reading this again any time soon. 

8. Dry by Neal & Jarrod Shusterman: I vowed a long time ago that I wouldn't read dystopians anymore. Why? Because it was becoming the norm and it made the genre boring to me. As it turns out, I really did like this one. So much so I remember taking everything out of my fridge to make sure we weren't going to have a shortage of water and drinks lol 

Stalking Jack the Ripper (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #1)The Wicked Deep

9. Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri Maniscalco: As stated, I am not a fan of historical fiction. This is another book where I was intrigued by the mystery that's also present. And this one came with another added perk.... The romance. If you don't ship Thomas and Audrey Rose, I can't trust you lol 

10. The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw: Ok so,witches aren't my thing. Normally I wouldn't have even read this, but I was intrigued by the sparkly cover. And man, I ended up really liking this. This was the first witch book I read that made me go buy it later on. I don't even remember reading The Witches by Roald Dahl. (But apparently witches are growing on me, because I read and loved These Witches Don't Burn by Isabel Sterling and I am currently reading Serpent and Dove and I LOVE it so far. It's filled with religion and witches, both things that I don't normally care for, but am LOVING it with Shelby Mahurin's prose and writing style!) 


I did NOT intend to be so long winded lmao Sorry....
What about you?
What books did you enjoy that don't fit your comfort zone?
Do we share any of them?
Let me know in the comments! 

Labels: